5 year old and toy guns?

I don't want my son playing with guns. He's 5 and I just don't want him playing with weapons! DH showed me a toy gun in a flyer and that it was on sale. I said I absolutely don't want to give him weapons as toys. Yes he pretend plays with his hands being a gun and we have play squirters (animal squirters). I feel that he is already rough and tumble. We were at a friends house and her son has guns (he's 7). When I saw my little boy with one it just didn't look fun or anything. He also was chasing his sister's around trying to shoot them in the head.
Would you let your kid play with guns? Why/why not?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I felt exactly like you do. However, we did allow water guns. My son is also 5 and he was given a Star Wars gun as a birthday gift. We let him keep it. Although I don't agree with violence in toys, he mimicked gun play with sticks and bats, and anything that he used his imagination to turn an object into one. It is pretty much natural, innate play, IMO. I don't let him have realistic guns, and we have rules like no shooting people in the face, and only shooting trees and non-living objects. We can't totally get rid of this type of play, but with some adult supervision I find it acceptable, and even natural.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I am not a parent (yet.. one month to go!) but when my son is that age I will not allow him to play with toy guns. I want him to grow up knowing that guns are for specific purposes (hunting, protection, etc) and NOT toys. Certainly not toys to be aimed at people and played with. I think if there were more people who taught their children this, there would be less accidents with children playing with guns!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son is two and he plays with squirt guns and thats about it. He does make his fingers into guns too. I dont really have a problem with my child and guns. Growing up my Dad had guns. We all knew gun saftey, they were always locked in the gun cabinet, bullets locked in a seperate drawer. we were taught gun safety/hunter safety at a young age. I do not currently own any guns, but my son and future children will be taught gun safety too. I know they arent for every one and if it makes you uncomfortable thats fine. But to me, guns were just another part of life.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my kids play with them. i grew up playing with them. my dad had real ones in our house. my son(5 yrs ) has a gun that shoots nerf bullets that have suction cups on them. he knows he is not allowed to shoot anyone in the head with them and he knows that real guns, if used incorrectly or for bad purposes can cause harm and kill. he plays cowboys and indians at my dad's house (they like to watch old cowboy movies together mostly roy rogers where no one ever dies). he also plays army (since he looks up to daddy).
    there was a study done awhile ago that showed that kids who actually play guns and such are less aggressive and violent later in life (when they are raised to respect guns and such). personally, i don't think there is anything wrong with kids playing with toy guns, as they can be very good learning tools to teach children about what guns really do. to me, depriving them of them want to play with them all the more.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would.
    Many moms feel like you do - a toy gun will make him play "meaner", more rough, more violent.
    But several independent studies have shown that if toy guns have any effect, it's a very mild effect toward LESS violence. As you've found, he will make a toy gun out of anything. At least with an actual toy gun, you can start teaching some simple "gun safety" rules - like even though its a toy, you NEVER, EVER point it at your sister. If he breaks the "gun safety" rules that you teach him, the toy can be taken away, fingers can't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It is natural, as so many parents find out. As long as you monitor for darker tendencies, I think it helps kids get their natural aggression out. I would not, however, allow those realistic shooting video games like Grand Theft Auto and so many others where the play of the game can de-sensitize them to killing. I know you wouldn't either, but I wanted to clarify my answer.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 4:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'm not against my son playing pretned guns. There are guidelines and rules for that type of play and he's learining it. I just don't think he needs to be equiped.
    I thikn it looks entirely unnatural for a child to have a realistic gun.
    As far as taking finger's away, or toy guns. We ban things in our house. Finger guns have been banned when things get carried away. They respect these rules.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• You feel the way many people do!

I allow it, I tried to stop it with my older ones but as you are learning they will turn anything into a gun :). So instead of fighting it I have ground rules..like, they can't point it at anyones head, they may point it at each other BUT only when they are outside playing cop's and robbers or cowboys and indians.

I think one other thing that helps is that my family owns guns so for me it was another way to teach gun safety, allowing toy guns has also taken some of the mystery away from the gun, they have also all been to the shooting range and seen exactly how damaging a gun could be, this may be something to think about, every city has one, so maybe take a day to go watch so he can see for himself what effects guns can have ( Just a thought). Take the mystery and mystique away.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• kids dont need toy guns,causes violents
    laneyb27

Answer by laneyb27 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Toy guns DO NOT cause violence, if that were the case our parents generation would have been the most violent around, and it isn't thier generation with violence issues it ours.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009