when do i place my toddler in a toddler bed?

He is 18 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's a personal preference thing. We put Timothy in a toddler bed just before his 2nd birthday, but I've heard of some kids staying in a crib until they're 3 or so. Just ask yourself if you're ready to deal with some night wanderings yet, because he will do that at least the first few nights.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i put my dd in her toddler bed when she was around 15 months old, she never wondered around, guess it just depends on the child
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Most parents do it whenever their kid starts climbing out of the crib. At that point they're ready to take a nasty fall, and it's safer to be in a bed.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It's a personal choice.
    Leaving him in the crib if he is trying to climb out risks him falling and getting hurt.
    Moving him before you "must" risks him climbing anything and everything in his room, falling and getting hurt. As well as getting hurt exploring the rest of the house at 2am while you are fast asleep if you don't have some way to confine him to his room. And be aware, some very young toddlers do well to start with - before they learn they can come and go as they please. Many of these parents end up begging for any way to keep their OLDER toddler in his bed and wishing they hadn't moved the child from the crib so young.

Cribs are safest as long as the child doesn't reach the weight max (usually 50 pounds) as long as you can prevent climbing or falling injuries. Toddler beds aren't needed at all - they are marketing gimick.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My first - 20 months, second - 28 months, and the third is 15 months and not ready yet. None of mine ever tried to climb out, this sounds odd, but I just look to see if they are sleeping more like toodlers than infants do (like on their sides or more in one spot rather than sleeping all over the crib during the night and scrunched in a corner with their bums in the air).
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i got my lil one just befor she turned one,she only takes naps in hers and sleeps with me at night,but when they start climbing and walking real well is when i would put them in one.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my son was in a toddler bed at 14 months...he slept better in it so we kept it...he is 2 next months and i have no complaints...every baby is different and just try it out...if he takes to it hes ready if not wait a while
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My dd has been in a toddler bed for just over 1 month...she loves it...but she fell out a few times until she got used to it which I would assume that is normal. Good Luck!
    SteelersMommy03

Answer by SteelersMommy03 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I should add that my dd is 18 months old :)
    SteelersMommy03

Answer by SteelersMommy03 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I put my dd in a toddler bed at a year old( she was a very proficient walker) and into a twin bed at 18 months
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 10:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2009