Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTH I just dont get it

Sorry to say but IMO child support is the biggest joke there is, they either take too much from the father or not enough no matter what its never a fair amount for both parties, and the kicker is most states use a damn automated system in figuring how much the support should be, I am so thankful I decided to never ask for support for my daughter because I would never want to deal with the mess it causes, and really at this point I am begining to think that the only reason anyone asks for it is because they want to make someone life miserable

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • also I forgot to say that its so not far that they are always in favor of the mother and never the father what a crock

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • true.

    Answer by dennysgirl07 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • I hear ya although there are fathers who make the money but don't pay a dime because they are selfish. I know what your saying though. My brother went through a similar situation where he was looking high and low for a job after he came back from Afghanistan and was having a hard time(he was paying $550.00 a week for 2 kids, one of which is 18 when he was in Afghanistan and when he came back the judge ordered him to pay the same amount even though he wasn't working or he would spend 10 days in jail. Well needless to say he spent 10 days in jail because he couldn't pay that much. They wouldn't lower it even though he wasn't making that kind of money anymore. He was doing odd jobs and whatever he could find. His ex didn't care, she wanted $550. Plus he was in kidney failure and in and out of the hospital for months, judge didn't care. Shit like that I have a problem with. Both parents should support their children equally.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • I agree... DH & I were just dating when we had DS & we agreed that no matter what happened between us we would never go to court for custody or child support. We'd come to our own agreement & if he had decided to walk out IMO I'd rather him keep his $ & leave 100% rather then be forced to be there in any way or just be a 'when its convienant' dad I think that messes w kids confidence when the courts decide the parental involvement... So yes I think your 110% right

    Answer by landensmommy411 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • i can agree that they dont take the right amount out ever. but its bs about taking the mothers side. a good friend of mine is paying a shit load of child support all bc she missed one court date while in iraq and they ruled in favor of her shity ass ex.

    Answer by BekaBug at 7:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • Disagree here... They do NOT favor the mother! My children's father left us high and dry, I work my a$$ off to support our children, he pays 50 a month for our three children and he makes 16.75 a hour 40 + hours a week. Because he has to support his new girl friend the court felt that my children (of our 10 year marriage) are a burden to him because of their combined bills (car payments, tv, phone, cable, credit cards etc.)

    100% BS on the 550 a week, can almost guarantee that one because if it were that high the father had to have had a huge check and be able to afford it. The maximum a court (in the USA) will take for 2 children from one man is 25% and that's only if he has no other dependents. If he lost his job or got out of the army he should have filed for a modification other wise it's his own damn fault for not notifying the court of a change!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • Actually anon :49 the last aprt you said was wrong, they are currently taking HALF which = 50% of my DHs income and we DO have our own son to support, they said oh well

    Answer by hautemama83 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • Anon 10:49 not bitching at ya or anything but Anon 5:53 did mention that her brother went back to court after getting out of the army & still ordered him to pay $550 a month so I would assume that he expressed the fact that he was out of the army & not working at the time. I would also assume that if he had gone about the wrong way to get the support lowered that the judge would have told him what he needed to do file an appeal or file differently or something.

    Just glad I dont have to go through this.

    Answer by Mel30248 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • You know, I am sick of people bitching about child support. Usually it is the new wife or gf that is doing the bitching because they don't want the father to pay his support. I have never heard of so many problems with child support. Child support is NOT meant to pay for everything for the child, it is meant to HELP the custodial parent support the child or children. It is VERY rare that someone is made to pay more than they can afford, if it is taken to court, it is usually ordered to be lowered. The only ones that have a right to bitch are the ones who have dead beats as the other parent. If you are going to help make a child, you are going to have to help support that child. If you aren't willing, DON"T HAVE SEX. My son's ex bitches and asked me to sign off on child support because he was laid off. I laughed because I am laid off to but find ways to support my child. Needless to say,he still pays his $200 a month.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

  • BekaBug; does she know about the Soldiers and Sailor Relief Act?

    A service member who is either the plaintiff or the defendant in a civil lawsuit may request a stay, postponement, of a court proceeding in which he/she is a party. A service member may request a stay at any point in the proceedings. If a judgment is entered against a service member who is unavailable due to military orders, the service member may be able to have that judgment voided. The provision only applies to civil lawsuits, suits for paternity, child custody suits, and bankruptcy debtor/creditor meetings. A service member should have his/her commander write a letter to the court and the opposing party’s attorney stating that the service member is unable to attend the proceedings. The member should not have an attorney draft such a letter to the court.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 12:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.