Being selfish?

My roomie babysits these kids on the weekend. the thing is it is the landlord's great grandkids. But the mother doesn't bring food or pull ups (she said her kids are potty trained but the youngest is still having accidents) or wipes or food. On top of it sher brings her clothes over for the roomie to wash. i dont mind the kids I do mind that this girl isnt giving the roomie or me any money. i pay the water bill and bring the food in the house I have a very limited budget. I dont like having a 150+ water bil or buying milk the night before and at 10 am the next morning being down to half a gallon when I go to make my kids breakfast. That has to last a week and the food is gone by tuesdaycause of the extra mouths. Am I being selfish for wanting the girl to start paying, bringing food or take her kids some where else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Doesn't sound like it to me. Have you tried labeling your food? When I had roommates we'd label everything with our initials... maybe that would give her a hint. Otherwise bring it up with her.
    Another thought- tell her you are going grocery shopping, what would she like you to buy? Then ask for some cash to pay for it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No, you are being perfectly reasonable. Why oh why would your roommate want to babysit 3 kids with absolutely no compensation for it. At the least you need to tell your roommate not to give the kids any of the food that you buy for your kids. Write your name on everything if she's "confused" about it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I'd definately say something. I've had to say something to my best friend in the past about the same things. And why are her kids there all the time? I would try to keep it on a non confrontational level, but you and your kids come first and obviously these people either don't care about your needs or are just clueless.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i delt with this twice being in college..everyone wanted MY food because i bought the "good stuff" it made me want to scream, if you like what i buy so much go buy it for yourself. i started keeping most things in a rubermade tub in my closet, and we each had our own mini frig in our room so we kept OUR important stuff extremely seperate. sometimes we went in together on meals..but we had seperate cabinets and initialed the stuff in the frig that we bought alike..it may seem childish at first but its better than heated arguments over the last slice of cheese (that happened more than id like to admit) cheese became a comodity!! LOL!!! roomates are HARD work! good luck!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2009