Does anybody know how many pot smokers are in prison in CA?

Does anybody know how many pot smokers are in the CA prison system today? It seems that it would be worth the time and effort of the penal system to release those individuals that have been there since the 1960's for smoking pot. I am sure some have long since died. Look at the money they would save in the release of these prisoners. I am just talking about those incarcerated for SMOKING POT. Not those dealing drugs.

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Does anybody know how many of those pot smokers would be there anyway because they committed more serious crimes and plea bargained down to possession?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I thought pot was decriminalized in Calif.? When I was there in 1975, you could have a small amount and only get a fine or something like that. People were smoking out at the beach at sunset. It was so mellow.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Do you mean pot smokers in general??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I know that here in Cali possession of anything less than and ounce is only a ticket. If you don't have an rx.

A bill has been introduced to the US Congress to decriminalize the possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana and the not-for-profit transfer of one ounce of marijuana.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I love California!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Way too many. Even our idiot Gov. wants to legalize it and tax it.
    Anonymous

• I would hope that someone who was put in jail in the 60s only for smoking pot has been let out by now.
    Anonymous

• In Denver, Colorado, you can have an ounce or less on your person and it's legal (as obviously, they assume it's for your personal use and not sales). However, Colorado STATE law hasn't changed, so if you get caught, it's up to the cop as to whether he wants to go by city or state law.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 8:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If anyone is still in jail since the 1960's for smoking pot, I would be completely shocked. I doubt that is possible. Really. Get a grip. All the discussion about pot is getting so so boring.
    Anonymous