Dinner Emergency!! Help!!

Okay, I have a dinner emergency. I was going to make chicken tacos tonight but when I pulled my chicken out it was rotten. Interesting since the expiration date isn't until June 22nd. Anyway, that was the last dinner for the week (we only buy what we need for the week) and I can't go to the store because I have no way there and no money. So.... what can I make for dinner with what I have?

several cans of beans (pinto, black, red, kidney, cannelini, refried)
rice
remnants of a few boxes of pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, farfalle)
about a cup of chicken broth
mashed potato flakes
pancake batter

I also have all the staples except for cheese. Help me!! I'm a crummy cook when I have no recipe!!!

JerbysMom

Asked by JerbysMom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I am assuming you have seasonings in the house right??? I don't know how many people you are feeding so if this sounds like too much lower the amounts. Cook 2 cups of rice in the 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water, add seasonings-salt, pepper, garlic, and taco seasoning. Use 1/2 can of pinto, black, and red beans. Add those after the rice is cooked-leave a bit of liquid in them. Enjoy!!! If you have salsa that would be a great add too!!! Hope that works for you!
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 6:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Breakfast for dinner... Make some pancakes and eggs. Its cheap and filling.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If you were going to make chicken tacos, I wonder if you can make egg tacos, or bean tacos instead. For me I would go with Jillybeans' idea and have breakfast for dinner, plus some fruit or salad.

About the rotten chicken Make sure your refrigerator is keeping the correct temperature, and you may want to take the chicken to the store where you bought it- even call the manager now and tell her what happened and see if she wants you to freeze the chicken until you can get there or what. You should be able to get your money back if it isn't your fault (refrigerator not working right, or stayed out in the heat too long after purchase.)

Answer by Bmat at 6:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Use the beans for the tacos. Heathier than chicken, and cheaper, too.
    Take the rotten chicken back to the store for a refund.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009