Adoption: Special needs

Here's our situation: We have 2 kids (3 and 1), and I am 7 weeks pregnant with our 3rd. Our oldest is autistic, and we feel we do really good by her, and we feel that she has changed our lives so dramatically for the better, that we'd like to open our home to another special needs child that otherwise might not find a home. We don't own our own house, and I am a SAHM and my spouse doesn't make good money, about 40,000 a year. Would we be crazy to adopt, that is, if we would even qualify to adopt a special needs kid based on income and already having a disabled child??? I don't feel like we're maxed out, I feel like we've got so much to give, we may not be rich but we find ways to do fun family things and my kids are clothed and fed and well taken care of medically and every other way. I dunno, I'm just looking for some feedback I guess! Anyone else in a similar situation???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• Doesn't take a high income to adopt a special needs child through your state. It does take a stable home with knowledge about what you are able to handle. Social workers will evaluate your home, your situation, and then match a child they think is best suited for that specific environment when they have a child that needs your home. It is more the matter of being available and ready (going through the process) and when your family meets the needs of that specific child (or they think that your family is the best fit) they will give you a phone call. If this is what you and your husband want to do - there is such a need.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think it's great that y'all are willing to take in a child with special need. You don't have to be rich to adopt. Call an agency and get some info. It can't hurt!! Good luck!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• For me I would pray about it and the timing. If your 7 weeks pregnany you may think differently once the baby comes, or maybe not. I would look into it as well.... who know how quickly or how long it takes.. I don't know. But its wonderful that you have a heart for it. I do as well, my two borthers have autism, one downs syndrome as well, I've worked with kids with special needs and love them sooo much! They are such blessing. :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Precious: We were thinking more in the future, pry another 2-3 years. This pregnancy was a surprise, I was told I shouldn't be able to get pregnant so we started talking about adoption and now I've just got it stuck in me, I can't shake it! I would want to wait probably until the youngest is at least a year before we start pursuing, but I know these things take time. Thankyou both for your feedback!
    Anonymous

• I don't think your income is a problem. $40,000 is wayyyy more than we live on as a family of three. Our youngest is considered special needs due to prenatal drug exposure, and we were able to adopt him with our income. I am a SAHM too (which is the reason money is so tight). Congratulations on your pregnancy! Depending on the route you take to adopt your fourth, you may or may not have a significant wait. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Oops - we're a family of four since 9 months ago! I got so used to saying we were a family of three, then we adopted him suddenly (a week's notice).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We've adopted 11 kids (plus have one bio too). Five of the kids are somewhere on the autism spectrum. Parents of special needs children know what a blessing they are, but many don't and as a result many children wait. Go for it! Also there are usually subsidies available to help offset the cost of adopting children who are waiting in foster care to be adopted. They also usually keep their medical cards which will pay for therapies, drs visits, dental, vision, and copays.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 2:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2009