Should I give her something everytime she asks?

My daughter it 4 and weighs 27lbs. She's small for her age. It a hassle to get her to eat. Lately she tells me she's hungry between meals, I get up and cook something for her and she doesn't eat it! I always tell her if you don't eat it this time I wont fix you nothing later, but I feel bad if she asks and I tell her no for food. I cut out all snacks, candy, pop tarts, cereal, pretty much anything sweet because she'd rather eat that than real food. I don't know what else to do or how to make her eat. Another thing is, if we go to someone elses house she ALWAYS says shes hungry even if we just ate at home and she refused to eat her food. People mut think I don't feel my child it's embarassing!

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some little kids need to eat small amounts of food frequently throughout the day. My daughter goes through times where it seems like she does nothing but eat, but they're all small snacks, not meals. A few bites of apple here, a half a piece of toast there, etc. If I were you, I would GIVE her something every time she asks, but I wouldn't necessarily COOK her something unless it's time to cook anyway. I'd keep snacks that she likes around at all times and put them where she can reach them. We keep a rolling cart with fruits & a veggie tray where the kids can reach them and they know they can munch freely from it all day. I always take some snacks with me too so that if she says she's hungry outside the house I can give her some choices. I have always kept a bag in our car with non-perishable foods like dried fruits, nuts, granola bars, etc. for times like that and usually have a snack or two in my purse as well.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If you feel this way, Hon, she will win the battle forever. It will start with food and never end, trust me. You have got to stay consistent in your disciplining her. She has got to realize the consequences of her actions. She is tiny, yes, but so was I at that age... ya know what.. my dad made me eat. I did not leave the table until I was at least half done. You have to say, if you don't eat now, you go to bed hungry. Don't show weakness.. they can smell it! Start strong and stand in your shoes when disciplining her, it will make for a much better child later on.
    Anonymous

• Perhaps you can make healthy snacks available for her for when she is hungry between meals- have carrot and celery sticks, or celery with peanut butter, nuts, fruit, cheese bites, yogurt perhaps- plain yogurt with unsweetened applesauce or bananas mixed in. If she is hungry she'll eat these.

Answer by Bmat at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Sounds to me like she is playing a fun game with you! Fun for her, not so much for you! Honestly, I would put an end to it and flip her little world upside down!!! Kids will not let themselves starve. If they are hungry, they will eat, and if they are hungry enough they will eat anything! Stop being her personal chef. Set meal/snack times, and stick to them. If she says she's hungry-tell her we will eat dinner in 1 hour, you will be find til then. And the fact that she is small for her, doesn't matter, really....people come in all sizes, someone has to be short right-or how would we know what tall is? Really, I think she's using food as a power thing.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 6:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Small children should be eating every couple hours, but it doesn't need to be a huge meal. It just needs to be enough to keep their blood sugar up. Offer breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. You get to pick what she eats, so none of it needs to be sugary. Candy and pop tarts are not snacks. Fresh apples, grapes, goldfish, yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, banana, pudding, cereal (not the sugary kind), and jello are just a few ideas. If my kids do a good job eating their dinner, I will let them have some ice cream or a cookie sometimes. Especially if it was a dinner they were against in the first place (like chili LOL),
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would start by not having junk in the house for a while; if it is not and she does not see anyone eating it, then she will stop wanting it.. Stick with healthy snacks and treats. Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & peanut or marinara sauce.
    Make popsicles with pureed fruits and juice or yogurt or ricemilk. Other good snacks are avocado, tofu, frozen blueberries. Think fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes. Make a smoothie with frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, kale (loaded with iron and calcium), orange juice (vitamin C to increase absorbtion of iron) and some yogurt or plant or animal milk.
    Most important is to not battle over food, this can create serious eating issues later in life.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Here is a fun "treat" to make together"
    Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.