How do I get her to sleep tonight?

My daughter is 3 wks old. She is a very good sleeper, Its great. Last night she was up until 4 am. I am thinking it was gas. Well because she didn't sleep good last night, she has been out all day long. How am I to keep her up so we don't get into a pattern of sleepless nights? I am so affraid that she will be up all night again tonight. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doesn't she usually sleep a lot during the day? My daughter did and my MIL kept telling me to try and keep her up during the day. That was not easy, but I guess you could try. We kind of just kept moving her and putting her in her swing and bouncer seat and different things. I dont' know, though, that girl could sleep through anything. I hope she gets to feeling better and sleeping again!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have learned from experience with my daughter that trying to keep her up during the day was the worst thing for her. She would get so tired by the end of the day that she would scream for 40 min until she wore herself out then pass out, but still be up all night. I have noticed that the more I let her sleep during the day, the more she sleeps at night. For the last 4 months since she was born, she has had a hard time sleeping through the night (we usually get her to sleep by 10pm, she wakes up first at 330am and then at 630am and then at 830am and every 2-3 hours after that. It seems that the more rested and relaxed and full and clean she is the better mood she's in and the better she sleeps. Just try relaxing with her. I also read somewhere that right before she hits a "milestone" in her life she will loose sleep for a few days, dont' know if thats true though it sorta is for my girl.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 8:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• oh yeah, and my daughter has to be wrapped up tight like a burrito baby or she won't sleep. You know, like they wrap them up in the hospital. If her arms can move, she won't sleep, ever!
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 8:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Babies follow their schedule, not yours. They usually sleep alot the first two weeks, then start having erratic sleep patterns. It will probably take about two months for her schedule to become fairly regular. Don't expect her to sleep through the night for a while; my daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009