Which do you think is better for driver's ed, a parent-taught course, or a school?

My husband and I just sent off for our state's parent-taught course packet. We just feel our son will learn more from us, and we will be in control of what he's doing. Which do/did you use?

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• In my personal opinion, a school-taught course is better. I only say this because there are so many bad drivers out there already and I don't want them teaching their kids the same bad driving skills that they have.
    Anonymous

• it depends on the family. My late fil had excellent training for driving his telephone company truck and he wanted to teach our twins, so we got the packet and he did about half of it before succumbing to a sudden heart attack. With my first one, we sent him to a school because he was ambidextrous (uses both hands) and had no natural feeling for right and left. I do think it would be good to invest in some professional course plans. Home schoolers buy curriculum. Why should driving be any different.?
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I did mine online. I went to driversed.com It was great. I was able to do things at my own pace and if i didnt understand something i just went back over it agian. And after each section i had to take a test. I dont remember how many you were able to miss but thats what i did. I thought it was awsome. If that site is still around when my son can drive thats what im going to use.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Well...I took drivers ed in school, it was just a class room thing though, not actual driving. I learned a lot in the class and know more than just about anyone I talk to :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The school taught is probably better. In Chicago, they use the simulators before taking them out on the street. They also get their permit and license earlier if they take the school class. I would also check with your insurance company to see if the type of call will affect your rates.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I couldn't do it. I am way too protective.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No way would I be teaching any child how to drive, I don't have the patience to do that. I would go for the school course.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my parents wouldn't even get in a car with us until we completed the drivers ed through school. that's the way i plan on doing it. i think the teachers are more calm, and not emotionally attached in any way to the learning process.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I took a school driver's ed class
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• In some areas they have discontinued driver's ed in schools due to liability or money or whatever. Our schools don't offer it because they have to devote more time to academic classes.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2009