Christians who believe in evolution or a creator assisted evolution.

What makes you believe in this?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 6:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• People are trying to reconcile the things publicized by modern science with the Bible. I look for ways for both to be right, too, but when the two just will not mesh, I go with the Bible.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I think the two can mesh quite well, if you don't insist upon a literal interpretation of the Bible. It makes more sense that it would be metaphorical, anyway, seeing as culture/mentality back then was more metaphorical - and we should look at Jewish interpretation and practice to better and fully understand the OT.
    I think the better question is how can one ignore the findings of science when the proof is there?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If God is all knowing, all seeing, and everwhere at once, then how can s/he make mistakes? I personally don't think that the God/dess knows what will happen to each of us, S/he may be able to see the paths before us, but the choice is ours. So, if God/dess knows all, then how can people think that evolution is not something that was designed? I don't think that we were placed here in our current human form, we would learn nothing that way. Things are happening a way they were meant, even if it is not pretty, or happy. Again, we were meant to evolve and grow as a race and we make our own future, the Gods know what paths are availible, but we make the choice which ones to follow
    NewMom101

Answer by NewMom101 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• An old-earth creation is the model I'm most open to because in 2nd Peter it says that 1,000 years is a day to God...so when I read about creation taking place in days. I just think maybe a day to God isn't the same things as our 24-hour human day.

Do I think he's perfectly capable of doing it in 24 hour periods? Yes, but maybe that's just not the method he chose.

Anyway, in my faith you'll find young-earth creationists and old-earth creationists - we're not really told it has to be one way or another by our leaders - they just care that we believe God was in charge of it all.
    Anonymous

• Because I actually understand the evidence for the scientific theory of evolution. And I understand that God gave us both reason and faith and so when understood properly they will not contradict each other.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I believe that Inteligent Design involves an inteligent creation that was formed to be able to adapt to a changing environment and changing needs over time for survival. I think, if anything, Microevolution proves God/Inteligent Design.

Macroevolution is more of a stretch for me. I also am not a Bible Literalist. I understand that passages in the Bible may have been meant to be figurative. I also know that whether or not we had appendixes at the dawn of time or whether or not dogs evolved from whales really isn't pertinent to my salvation lol. While I can speculate on what I think is the truth, I wasn't there, no one was, so all ANYTHING really is, is a theory. Some theories are better than others but they're still just an educated guess. Again, doesn't matter to me! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Because I've seen the evidence of evolution for myself.
    Dr.MomPh.D.

Answer by Dr.MomPh.D. at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Drmomph.D can you please send me this proof you have please. I would like to study :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2009