Teething... help!

My 15 month old is cutting his first molars and is very uncomfortable. The top left one has the tips through. However, the right side has nothing through and is swollen and looks almost bruised. A space about the size of the end of my pinky (maybe a little smaller) is dark purple. Has anyone seen this?
Also- pain relief? He won't put anything in his month to chew on- cold or not. I've just been giving him motrin and baby orajel- but I think the orajel is doing no good at all. He's had a fever and diarrhea as well. My first two teethed fairly well, I just gave them motrin and cold wash cloth's and they were fine. Thanks in advane...

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi, teething is no fun, bless his heart, I haven't seen that bruising either but then I never got in there and looked, I just felt. When both of my kids both cut teeth the thing that told me it was teeth is they both went from a perfect looking butt with no diaper rash to a wierd loose looking loose poop that burned the skin and got an angry rash and a raw butt. That'd happen right before they cut the tooth.
    Any chance that it happened like that with the other ones?? I'd also run it by the pediatrician. I was a pediatric RN for over 10 years, and don't recall ever hearing or seeing that prob. I hope it ends soon. I'm great with other baby questions.
    Lisa
    Divimom

Answer by Divimom at 11:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i used sponges,i washed em,cut them in half and put them in the freezer for a bit,i also use teething tablets.carrots are good to espacily if they are chewing.(cold carrots)
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Thanks- has anyone seen the bruised mark where the tooth is coming in? That has me the most worried- could it be coming in wrong?
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Sorry momma I have not seen the bruising...I would maybe call the Dr. and I used Motrin too..eeekkk I hate teething :( Good luck!
    SteelersMommy03

Answer by SteelersMommy03 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• We used Hylands teething tabs and frozen washcloths.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I havnt seen the bruised spot either, I suppose I would make an appt either with his pedi or dentist to see if they can tell you why. Maybe that is the spot that is bothering him the most and there may be a reason the motrin and what-not are not working. Since it is Sat night, you could call the pedi's on-call nurse and ask them.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• The pedi said that she had seen the swollen bruises before, they are actually blood pockets and they burst when the tooth cuts through. She said that it is more painful and they are more irritable. So hopefully it will cut through soon! Thanks to everyone.

pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2009