my 16 yr. old daughter

Can somebody please help me?? My daughter is 16 and everything she wants to wear is ridiculously expensive. She say's i have no style. What should i do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My dd got a job when she was 16.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• tell her get a job to learn the value of a dollar.. let her pay for them expensive clothes and if she has a car she can pay the gas and insurance on it.. better starting them early learning the value of a dollar my parents did not and spoiled me only child.. and honestly i loved it then.. but when i was 18/19 and on my own.. i didnt know how to handle money and got in debt took a few years to get out and still working on my credit
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 7:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son was the same way. At the time he wanted a pr of jeans that were 120 bucks I said NO WAY. I will pay 35 for Levis..okay so this was years ago... I said He could have the 35 and pay the rest himself. He did it for several items but soon tired of "having no money left over and I only bought 1 or 2 things".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i got a job at 15 at mcdonalds so can she.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter is almost 14, and became a Red Cross certified babysitter about 1.5 years ago (getting recertified for CPR next week). She charges $7 an hour for most families, and makes a lot of money; sometime $75 over a weekend. She saves 1/2 of her earnings. We buy her what she needs and she buys the stupid stuff, like the juicy shorts at Loehmanns that she couldn't live without...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Tell her you will give her the $20 for a pair of pants or whatever and she has to make up the difference I tahnk God my mom didnt buy me expensive clothes and made me work hard for teh extra special things. Today I buy almost nothing that isn't on clearance and I get some super great deals adn look fabulous. Also sign up for Kohls e-mail alerts and you can get a $5 coupon. Those coupons go a long way when shopping their clearance racks or power hour specials during weekend sales
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My 14yo dd says "just dont buy it for her". I have to somewhat agree. what I did with my teen is that we compromised. We go shopping at burlington coat factory, TJ maxx and marshalls. Macy's when they have clearance and she gets her name brand items at mom friendly prices.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• If she likes those expensive clothes tell her to get a job so that she can buy her own clothes, or else she can just wear what you can afford to buy for her.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• In addition to what everyone else said, don't fight with her about it. If she says you have no style, just simply shrug it off in a nice cheery voice. She might be trying (intentionally or not) to drag your emotions into this so that she can use them against you. Keep your cool and good luck!
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Tell her to get a job and buy her own clothes. If she doesn't like that, then she will wear what you can afford to buy her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2009