How have special needs children touched your life?

My little brother was diagnosed with cerebral palsey at age 1. His mom married my dad when he was 5 and I was about 14 or 15. He's been such a trooper his entire life. He had steel rods inserted in his legs to straighten them out so he could walk better. His mind isn't affected, but his motor skills and speech are. He's going to be in middle school this year, ZOMG!

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• One of my close friends in high schools little sister had something i dont know what it was but she was 6 and sounded like a 2 year old does when they are first learning how to talk. She also didnt have all her fingers. But she was the sweetest girl. You couldnt understand her much but she was always polite and didnt let other people get her down. She knew when people were making fun of her and she would still be just so amazing. Her mom wanted to get her into softball because she loved playing with me and my friend but because she had special needs they wouldnt let her. So me and her mom went to the city to start a sports program for special needs children. And i helped her with that for about 3 years. There were so many great kids that i meet and i couldnt belive some of the things that the parents would tell me about what their kids have done. And how rude some people are to kids like this.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Oh I know :( We took him to a Gwen Stefani concert two years ago, and these two stupid ass girls kept standing up in front of him. My stepmom went crazy bitch on them, and they called her a "fatass" and my brother a "retard." UGH I wanted to kill them dead.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I worked with kids with special needs and treated them the same as anyone else. I believe everyone has special needs. We are all as different as we are the same. Do unto others...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• shake handAlso I have taught my children the same.

writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My cousin had sever cerebral palse and couldn't walk and could only say mom but that little girl always had a smile on her face. I miss seeing her smile cp finally took her life with all her seizures in November 2007 she was 15.

R.I.P Danielle L. Ireland 11-22-92 to 11-23-07
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son with autism amazes me every day
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• TMJ, same here. I also get offened when people say the word retarded so freely.
    Anonymous

• My brother has brain damage. M dad beat him when he was only 13 months old and it almost killed him. He had to have several brain surgeries, and he was never the same. He's almost 19 (August 22nd) He has just recently learned how to read and write, and he still can't so those things very well. He's not very good in a social environment. But he really wants to learn. He has an amazing love for knowledge! He really wants to go to college. (I hope he's able to one day.) He's an amazing person and anyone who knows him has been blessed. :)
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I teach special needs children and I also have a son who is 3 that is autistic. He touches my life everyday and touches all of the peoples lives he comes in contact with him.

Thank you for asking this question!
    corid

Answer by corid at 12:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have a two year old boy named, Owen who will be three years old in August of this year. He has touched my life in so many ways...one of the ways he has touched me the most is showing me how to count each day as a blessing. He is so very special and when he does something unexpected it makes me so excited and proud...it's the little things he does that often people with normal children take for granted. My life would never be the same without him.
    Apple1

Answer by Apple1 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2009