Need some wisdom from other moms

I have a 2 month old that's EBF, he is definately NOT sleeping the 12-15 hours that the "experts" say I think he's MAYBE sleeping 8 hours...I'm worried this isn't healthy for him? And I'm failing at keeping up I feel like a zombie everyday now, is this going to continue?? I've tried baths at bedtime keeping the room dark rocking him comfort nursing him, help please??!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he only sleeps 8 hours total in a day??
    My son has never slept much at night, only now at 11 months has he started sleeping 10 hours at night... usually it was about 8 at night and about 3-4 hours in naps during the day
    If your baby seems well rested and happy during the day don't worry about it, every baby is different, some sleep more than others.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• yea...he seems happy and well rested..but his mother and father sadly are not...
    Anonymous

• Have you spoke with his doctor? That is what i would do.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I feel like I have the child that never sleeps too! Or atleast I did for the longest time. I found that the best way to get them to sleep was to have a schedule. Some babies can't "go with the flow," so they need a schedule to keep them on track. I wrote out a schedule for eating and sleeping and we stick to it. My son is so much happier when he wakes up and doesn't fight going to sleep now. It took about two weeks but be consistent and it will fall into place. :)
    MommyK1909

Answer by MommyK1909 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter didn't sleep much the first couple of months after she was born. I'm sorry to say, but nothing worked for her. She was up every 1-2 hours at night and only slept for 30 min/5-6x a day every time she took a nap during the day, if she even when down at all. By 7pm every night, she was so tired that she would scream for at least 40 min, until she wore herself out and passed out until 9pm when we gave her a bath and put her to bed. Nothing worked for us. I just had to be patient, persistent and calm. It got to me some days, but in the last 3 weeks things have been getting better. What is your diet like? 3 weeks ago I changed my diet and started drinking a ton of water, less soda and trying to eat different things (I have had such a hard time with junk food, cookies especially, my whole life).
    I agree that schedules are great, but that has never worked for us. Just keep experimenting, good luck!
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 8:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My daughter didn't have regular sleep patterns until she was over colic, at around 5 months. The first time she slept six solid hours was at 8 months.
    You are doing a great job, keep it up! You will learn to live with being exhausted about three days before your baby starts to really sleep at night; the first time this happens, you will be up every hour to make sure that he is still breathing (he will be) and you will continually ask yourself if you should wake him up to feed him (you should not, always let sleeping babies sleep).
    Enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• DD had lots of sleeping problems until she was 5 months old (she's 9 months now), and even then she'd wake up regularly every 2-3 hours at night. We figured out that she just didn't like sleeping in our room, in her bassinet. Maybe a change of environment would do your LO some good? Always remember, it's not going to be like this forever, you can get through it- enjoy every second you get to spend with him.. Abby just started sleeping through the night a few weeks ago.. maybe someone could watch him for an hour or two so you could get some uninterrupted nap time yourself, just as a refresher? Good luck :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 12:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2009