when to use a sippy cup?

when did you introduce a sippy cup to your baby?! and what did you put in it--- water, juice, milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd has never had a bottle in her life. i gave her a sippy cup at 4 months,first few times with breast milk,then juice(watered down)....she loves her cuppy
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 8:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i'd say when they're old enough to know how to pick it up and drink from it. For instance, my 6 month old can pick things up but doesn't yet know what to do with them once they're in her hand. I introduced my oldest around 8 months, and put Gerber apple juice in it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• we introduced a sippy (water only) at around 9 or ten months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I introduce it at around 6 moths, but they don't usually start getting the hand of it till 8-10 months. Start with a little BM or formula, then juice. Wait for water until around 9 months and milk till around 11-12 months. Good luck.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I introduce the sippy at about 4.5 months. He didn't take to the regular one right away, so we let him try the ones with the straw and he did great. He is 7 months now and takes it like a pro. He gets watered down juice in it. And you don't need to spend the extra money on gerber juice, just get 100% no sugar added juice, so much cheaper and the same thing!
    Anonymous

• Sippy cups are not really necessary, I have never used them. Kids can learn to hold a regular cup, just help them in the beginning, and by the age of around 12-13 months, they can almost do it by themselves. It just takes a little extra effort from you. My oldest never had one, and my youngest who is almost 5 months is doing great already. I hold the cup to her mouth and tilt a little, and she drinks. I just give her water, so far.
    IMO, sippycups just prolong the baby fase, and it will be hard to get them off it again. They might as well learn to use the regular cup once and for all, if you ask me.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• i would never give juice in a sippy cup, if you cant have water, you cant have juice IMO. juice has too much acid and sugar for developing teeth. water is great for older babies, they never drink too much, the danger for babies with water is
    A. sometimes mothers water down formula too much, so the baby can become malnourished or
    B.occasionally newborns dont understand the difference between milk and water, and drink too much water which mucks around with their electrolytes and upsets their kidneys.
    older babies dont have this problem. so to encourage water drinking as a lifelong habit, start as you mean to go on, and give water anytime from 4 or 5 months. as PP said, is not necessary to give a 'sippy' cup, you can certainly use a regular cup, you will just need to supervise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2009