screaming, diaper rash, diarrhea, etc.

Hailey is at it again. She has had a diaper rash for 3 or 4 days. She has presciption diaper rash cream b/c she gets it really bad when she does get diaper rash. But that cream isn't helping. Yesterday she started having diarrhea. Today she had added unrelentingsreaming/ shrieking(sp?). Today I took the advice of a pediatric nurse tht i know who told me to buy an antifingal cream and use it a couple of times a day to treat for yeast, as well as buying a+d ointment (zinc oxide w/ aloe). i think that she might be teething again, but she doesn't like being checked for teething. HELP ME!!!! I am so out of ideas. She is 11 months old

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 8:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well what I always did/do when my son had/has diarrhea && a rash at the same time was/is put vaseline on his butt. It really doesn't do anything as far as helping clear up the rash, but it's thick so it keeps the poo off of it && doesn't let it get any worse. It also helps keep them moisturized so that the rashy skin doesn't dry out && hurt worse. Once the diarrhea is gone, I just resume with the diaper rash cream.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• && there's nothing in vaseline so it doesn't burn them when you put it on their skin. which diaper rash cream does, if it is irritated on top of the rash....

hope it helps
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It does sound like a yeast rash... my daughter got that with diarrhea, too. Stop using baby wipes (even the sensitive kind) -- use either damp paper towels or wash cloths (I know, yuck). Let her air out after every diaper change -- as much air time as you can give her... then put the antifungal cream on. It should clear up fairly quickly... but the wipes make it much worse! I feel for her... my daughter was SO miserable when she had this! Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• thank you girls! I am using the yeast rash cream tonight, and in the morning i will start alternating that with vaseline. i figure it's a double whammy. thank you agani. she settled down a bit with a walk around the apartment complex w/ me and her "Dabby" (her word for daddy-lol) then we came home and she refused her bedtime "bobble" (bottle) so just changed her, cuddled her, and put her to bed. good night ladies
    raineslibramom

Answer by raineslibramom at 10:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Corn starch and cotton balls. Pour corn starch in a open container, dab the cotton ball in the corn starch and apply it liberally to the rash. Use this for a couple days and you should see the results. If you do not it could be a yeast infection. Good Luck
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2009