How long does it take to get sick from turkey that may have been undercooked?

Just curious bc I made a turkey meatloaf and it looked a little pinkish near the bottom of it and I couldn't tell if it was undercooked or not. I cooked it longer than the recipe even suggested, so I am going to be very upset if my DH or I get sick off of it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Depending on the pathogen in question, 6 to 72 hours. Watch for the usual stomach upsets, and save a bit of leftovers if you are able to bring with you if you need medical care.

Color is not a reliable indication of doneness anymore though, with organic and free range birds varying in color when cooked. Get a meat thermometer, set it for 185, insert it in the thickest part of your meat, and never worry again.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It could take up to 24 hours, but most likely around 12. While undercooked poultry can make you pretty sick, it's not as common as you'd think. I've worried many times for nothing, so try not to. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• It could take a few hours or a couple of days. I hope you don't get sick from it, food poisioning is horrible to have. My son and I both had it at the same time and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• normally 24-72 hours. 72 hours is pretty much the max, and most of the time it's closer to 24 hours.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009