Does anyone else have a toddler that refuses to eat meat?

I cannot get my 1 year old to eat meat to save my life! I have tried chicken, chicken nuggets with all different sauces. He will even eat the pasta part only around the beef ravioli! I fear he may not be getting the protein he needs. I tried eggs and he will take a few bites but I can tell he doesnt love them. If you have a toddler who doesnt eat meat what do you do?

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 18 month old dd goes through spurts. She will eat beef some weeks, chicken the next and then none for a couple of weeks...generally though she will normally eat chicken. Maybe a phase?!
    SteelersMommy03

Answer by SteelersMommy03 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Just keep offering. For Kaylee it was just offering offering offering and then one day *BAM* she ate everything I put on her tray.

Also, even though some people might not agree with this, try giving him a chicken leg. Kaylee LOVED eating chicken off of the bone...she had her 8 front teeth (4 top 4 bottom) and can rip meat off in small enough chunks for her to eat. She loves being treated like a "big person", and tiny pieces of meat is not what she sees on mommy's plate.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Haaaa! Good luck! My 4 year old eats horrible. The only meat he will eat to date is chicken nuggets. Take my advice and keep placing different meats in front of him/her and keep praising. Can't promise it will work but just keep trying. It may be a phase it may be just how they are going to eat. My little one I started on meat as an infant and he eats great. See, I should have started the first one sooner. Oh well you live and learn. Good luck.
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• my dd will only eat pepperoni, if you consider that a "meat"! when she was one, she loved beans,so i encouraged that, but she doesn't even eat that now.
    Anonymous

• My almost one year old likes deli turkey...that's a rare treat (because of the sodium). She likes chicken sometimes. This weekend, I broke off a piece of a lean hamburger, and she nibbled on it. You can get protein from variety of sources besides meat.
    Anonymous

• Your child does not need meat. Ever. For any reason. Let him be vegetarian. It really is ok. He may lead your family down a path to better health for all of you and the planet. I have been vegetarian for most of the last 30 years; my spouse is vegetarian (at home, anyway) and so is our smart, happy, beautiful and incredibly healthy 13 year old daughter. I will give you some links to read: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/teen_veg.pdf
    http://www.pcrm.org/news/release090402.html
    http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_infant_nutrition/complete_nutrition.html
    http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_infant_nutrition/index.html
    I am happy to answer any questions, make menu and recipe suggetions, etc.
    For us, being vegetarian is not about what we don't eat, it is about what we do eat: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, chocolate (only fairy trade). Really, not eating meat is a good thing.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• There are other ways to get protein to your child. Give him peanut butter sandwiches, or mix different types of beans in with his pasta and veggies. Have you tried fish? In moderation though, too much can be harmful. I dont give my daughter much meat by choice. I give her chicken and fish, but I dont feed her red meat. So when were having a meal with red meat I give her beans or peanut butter instead, and sometimes for a treat, chopped up cheese.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yes.. but she LOVES veggies and fruit. I hide meat in her broccoli or in noodles... that's the only way I can get her to eat it. Otherwise she won't eat at all... if I just give her meat!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My daughter has the same problem. She will eat chicken, but won't touch any other meat. On the other hand, you couldn't keep her away from a fruit or veggie. I've asked her doctor about her eating habits and got the good ole "As long as she's thriving, she's fine" answer.
    Chickn

Answer by Chickn at 1:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• my lil cousin was like that u can get protein shakes or thoughs instant breakfeat shakes they have enought protein in them ...u can also try other food that vegiterains eat like beans
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2009