Why are all my roses blooming the same color when they're different varieties?

I have a rose garden. None of the roses are the same - there are purple, white, pink, red, yellow, peace, etc. In the past they've eached bloomed their colors as expected. This year, three of them (all next to each other) are blooming dark red. The blooms are smaller and clustered together, almost like a wild rose bush look. What is going on? No one I've spoken to has ever heard of this happening. Any garden experts out there? :)

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 10:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It sounds to me like your roses turned wild. Mine did this years ago and I had to yank them all out.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Here is a link to a site I found. I hope it helps!!!

http://ipmnews.msu.edu/landscape/Landscape/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/50
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 4:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Thank you Cindy18! I did more research and it sounds like that's what happened. I guess when hybrid roses are created, they are grafted onto a root stock called Dr. Huey. If the hybrid fails to thrive, the root stalk can take over and it looks exactly like what I have. Wow - this was really making my head spin - I'm glad I figured it out so I know I'm not crazy! :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2009