I took my 6 year old to the doctors yesterday and she has strep throat but is it normal for neck to hurt that bad she can barely move it shes had strep many times but never this bad.

mom2four25

Asked by mom2four25 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• yes it should be but if the meds dont work she might need her tonsils out, take a flash light and look in her mouth you might find white patches on her tonsils. Shell need to get them out.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• OMG !!! my son just had it to so bad his neck was swollen and he could barely move, knock on wood ...he never gets sick so this actually took him down for about a week! and he's 13. his meds and some rest knocked it right out
    lifeisgood03

Answer by lifeisgood03 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I have had it like that with the stiff neck and horrible headache. The ER doc actually thought I might have meningitis. Eeepp! Anyway, when I had it really bad like that it took a couple of extra days to feel better. Just keep her comfortable and give extra hugs. She will be better soon.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I would be very concerned about why she keeps getting strep throat. Why is her immune system so weak?
    I am a huge believer in the power of foods, for good and bad. The University of Michigan publishes a healing foods pyramid: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    If you don't already do so, start reading labels before you buy foods and bodycare products. Foods should not contain ingredients that you can't pronounce, can't identify and that you great grandmother would not recognize.
    Bodycare products should contain only safe ingredients. You can check the safety of the ones you buy on the skin deep database: www.ewg.org.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Yes, the neck can hurt. I used to get strep throat about 4 or 5 times a year from the time I was 5 to 12. I had my tonsils out at 5 and still got strep. Some people are just susciptible to it. I rarely get it now. Give her ibuprofren for pain and swelling. If the soreness doesn't go away in a few days, then I would call the doc back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2009