Question about kittens while pregnant

So I got a new kitten recently, and everything was fine (hubby cleans the litterbox and everything) We got him from his brother who's cat just had kittens.
We decided to babysit one other kitten ( our kittens sister) for the weekend,and now hubby wants to keep the other one, but i say NO WAY! I am having our first baby in October, and I cant take care of TWO cats too! One cat i can handle, but two?? He wants to keep her because his brothers living invironment is pretty bad and he would like to keep them together... Am i wrong in saying no? I offered to find her a good home! ( She is a BEAUTIFUL calico on top and white on bottom, she would go in a second!) I feel really bad....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sorry for the incorrect spelling... environment and such....
    Anonymous

• Honestly, 2 cats really are not any harder to take care of than one cat- I had one cat for years, than I got a second one, and other than the fact that I got twice the lovin and twice the meows and twice the amount of my bed taken up there really wasn't any change. the litter box still had to be cleaned every other day, and they used a self water/feeder. most cats don't want or ask for a lot of attention, but are often more affectionate to babies than dogs are.

I would just say keep em together, cats need play mates especally since you have a new baby coming and wont be able to provide all the love and attention you might have been able to give had there been no baby!

good luck!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• No its not a bad thing that you said no. Im trying to get rid of my cat now but hes a year old. But if you were to keep it the good things about cats is they are usually good by themselves and if you have 2 they will play together so it wont take as much of your time. But also keep in mind that you have to be careful with cats because they like to cuddle up around babies and can smother them without knowing it.

Anonymous

• You shouldn't feel bad about saying no at all. That said, two is as easy as one, usually, minus vet bills. If they are both little and related, they'll be great. But if you don't want two, forget it. I'd love a calico!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• lol jeanclaudia! She is soo sweet! I have had her brother for over a week and i am WAY too attached! But the calico girl is a sweetheart and I would love to find her a good home!
    Anonymous

• yea i agree two kittens isnt that bad at all.. i have 2 dogs and a kitten and a 7month old.. but all is well.. goodluck!
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• ps. i am prego too and due in oct, lol
    babymama8787

• i am also due in october. our cat had kittens the day i conceived, & we're keeping the mom & one of her kittens (were going to keep two, but at the end of this month my mother is taking one to be a companion for HER cat). also, as others have said, it will keep your current cat occupied & give it a playmate, which you'll be wanting soon enough (kittens can get VERY needy...we've breed them for a couple years now). & just as it has already been stated, they aren't any more trouble than just one as in taking care of them. having our cat & the two kittens here have actually been a breeze! & before that (from feb-may) we had 5kittens & the mom...LOL. I'd say give it a chance at least...if you really can't deal by the end of the summer, i'm sure she'll find a great home...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• its not bad that you are saying no. If you don't think you could handle it witht he new baby then you shouldn't push yourself to try. However as a cat owner myself I will say that at times having two can actually be easier then having one. They keep each other company a lot of the time. Times when if you only had one the cat would be meowing for attention that you couldn't give right then cuz you were taking care of baby. It is your decision and you should do whatever YOU are comfortable with. Just letting you know. Two puppies would be a huge deal. But two kittens aren't really that hard.... Good luck on whatever you choose =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2009