I have a 3 yr. old boy. We were doing the potty training and it was going really great. I had a daughter in April and his potty training has gone backwards. I have not stopped the potty training but he does not tell me when he has to go anymore. Can someone give me an answer of what I can do?

NikiRae

Asked by NikiRae at 8:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its normal for a child to regress when theres a new baby. Try giving him extra attention. He will go back to the potty training once he feels secure.
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• it happens. supernanny even had it on her show last week. make sure to have one on one time with him. read with him or build a tower when the baby is sleeping.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i would attempt to get him to train with big boy treats. tell him if he potties like a big boy, he gets a big boy toy that his sister doesn't. ( dollar store toys work great)
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• When you have a new baby. the older child will feel left out. it happened to me and my sister. all you can do is be patiant an keep taking him to the potty. He'll get back on track.
    blue_eyedmomma3

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• it's not funny but I have to laugh. My son started peeing on the floor in his room when my dd was born. he was 2.5 at the time. Thank God we were in military housing where the floors were lenolium!! EZ CLEAN UP! I agree with the giving extra attention. Maybe some alone time with Mommy or Daddy or both each and every day. Best of luck.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• as difficult as it is to take the time every half hour or so take him into the bathroom and have him "try to make it go".. my little guy did the same thing when I brought my daughter home.. good luck
    Queen0Hearts

Answer by Queen0Hearts at 12:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Hang in there my 3 year old granddaughter is doing the same thing, regressing. She gets busy and will wet her pants it's a phase less is more do not give any reaction and he will stop. If that does not work take him to target and let him pick out new unders his favorite action figure and have him come home and model for everyone children do not like to mess in cool unders, good luck hun. Congats on new baby!!
    Michelle
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 6:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008