What kind of birthday celebration can I give my teen son who's turning 17 y/o?

My 16 y/o teen son is turning 17 y/o and he wants a birthday celebration @ ITZ (it's a business somewhat like Chuckie Cheese's), but it is too expensive. He wants to have it outside the home. Can someone please help me with some inexpensive ideas.

luvnmom39

Asked by luvnmom39 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• why not invite friends over to your house or a park that has tables, shelter, bring balls, mitts and , frizbee, water balloons. any out door stuff to keep them busy.........food for a BBQ. Teens love to hang out and have fun.
    Good luck!
    HELLOITSDONNA

Answer by HELLOITSDONNA at 12:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• He is too old for a party- if he wants one and its pricey tell him to get a job. Why cant he settle for a nice family dinner and a small gift or pizza with friends and a rented movie? Some kids are just way too spoiled and brats, and I blame the parent(s) for letting em be this way. I hate that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• free party for ITZ

just check out the website to see what kind of deals you can get..

or.. have a small party there.. for only 2-3 hours.. between meals.. so all you have to pay for is drinks and snacks.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• if you don't have enough after that.. have him create his own games for his friends and him..

examples:

a poker bday party..
    or a juice pong party.. etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• clicked on her link above and it looks like a cool deal but the kid with the cake looks like shes 8 or 10 at the most.... come on a 17 yr old there??? a bit much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would suggest to him having something at home, maybe a "game" party where they can play video games, volleyball, basketball, whatever types of games they are into for a few hours. For food, you could do a nacho bar. Just buy 3 or 4 large bags of tortilla chips, have bowls of chopped tomato, onion, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese and a jar of salsa and container of sour cream. You could do cake for dessert but probably not decorated lol. Get his favorite flavor of cake and icing and bake the cake at home, its cheaper. For drinks, I would do 2 liters and a couple pitchers of kool-aid or something similar. I know my kids are much more into having their parties at home because they can invite more people, so it may appeal to him. If he chooses to have it somewhere outside the home, limit the number of friends he is able to invite to just a couple of friends.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We have done a scary movie birthday party theme for our sons before. Rent scary movies and make the party a scary theme. Heck one birthday we made it a scary costume party in July. That was the best party. Or even a water party, a back yard, water guns, water balloons and teens....they love it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Just hand him $500 cash.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My girls love having a barbecue bash at the beginning of summer when school ends with all their friends. They play games, get wet with the sprinkler, have water gun and water balloon fights, chat and laugh, and eat until they are stuffed. Then a few of their friends get to sleepover in the two tents we set up in the yard so they can "camp out" overnight. They have so much fun!

You can also check into a local pool that you may be able to rent by the hour. We have an indoor ice skating rink that is open year round - is there something like that near you? What about a beach party or a campout at a campground?

I think for a boy turning 17 a barbecue bash with his friends is a lot more fun. You can then give him a gift of some money and let him spend it on what he wants most - perhaps even hanging out with friends at the mall while he spends it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2009