Urinary Reflux help!

Hi! My 2 month old was just diagnosed with VU reflux (where urine is going backwards back up into her kidneys) after a UTI/Kidney infection. She is a grade 3-4. I am very worried about this and would appreciate any information that anyone may have on this topic and especially interested in your story if your child has this. Thank you! :)

MomAMT

Asked by MomAMT at 11:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had acid reflux and was recently diagnosed with Hiatal hernia/reflux....My best advice for you is to be sure to ask questions talk with your pediatrician with any concerns/questions..I know that sounds like a logical thing to do but sometimes when I get into the doctors' office I forget all the questions I wanted to discuss with him/or her at the time of the appt. Get all the information possible on this. It may not decrease your worry but at least you will be informed of what is going on with your child....Stay calm I know easier said then done, find solace in friends and family! Cry let it out when your child is sleeping...it helps me deal with stress better..it doesn't take it away but at least I am not keeping it bottled in...... I wish I knew more about this topic and maybe there are groups here at Cafemom that can be of support for you hun. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 2:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I am currently going through this with both of my daughters. My 22 month old was just diagnosed with stage 3 VU reflux. Our current plan of action is a daily medication for a year then redue the VCUG to see if it corrected itself. If not then we may need to do surgery. We see a urologist in about a month & I'm not sure if he will want to change that plan of action or not. My 3 month old was just diagnosed with her first UTI yesterday. We will be doing the VCUG in the next couple of weeks, but I am pretty sure she will have the VU reflux also. Her UTI was worse than my older daughter's & she is a lot younger. On thing I have learned it that if one child has VU reflux their siblings are 33% more likely to have it also. If you need to talk feel free to pm me. I understand what you are going through & it definately helps to talk to others who have gone through it too.
    mdkleier

Answer by mdkleier at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Come join our support group for kidney issues

http://www.cafemom.com/group/hydronephrosisandkidneyreflux
    FDwifeand3boys

Answer by FDwifeand3boys at 6:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009