has anyone stayed in Barbados?

i am looking at some hotels in Barbados. all inclusive(family friendly) has anyone ever stayed at the Almond Beach Village? or Almond Beach Causarina? Turtle Bay Resort. i need some feedback. am desperate to book the "right one"! thanks ladies!

PAWPAUSE

Asked by PAWPAUSE at 12:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Travel

• Don't stay at Turtle Bay, if I recall, it's by St. Lawrence Gap, right? The sea is really rough there. Check to be sure you're on the calm side by The Fairmont property. Check Almond. Also, the other Fairmont allows kids and is great. Monkeys come out at night and run around the property and the ocean is calm w/ good snorkeling off the beach. Any property by St. Lawrence Gap will have the rough ocean. Also, check out www.wheretostay.com and www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. You can also post this question on Fodors and get feedback. But the tripadvisor is your best bet. You'll enjoy it there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• gosh! thanks for the info! i was considering turtle bay. i started out booking almond beach, and then checking reviews, there were good and bad. i have checked tripadvisor, and it's sooo hard. there are good and bad for all of them.! did you stay anywhere in particular there? i think i stayed at mango bay years ago, and the beach was wonderful- yet it's not really a resort for children. they would be bored there. any more info you can give would be appreciated!
    PAWPAUSE

Answer by PAWPAUSE at 10:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We stayed at The Fairmont Royal Pavilion in Porters, St. James. Next door used to be The Fairmont Glitter Bay but now appears to be apartments that are rented out. If you have loads of money, Sandy Lane is the place to stay, hands down. Tamarind Cove is also good. Do you have to do an all inclusive? Turtle Bay IS nice, we ate there and walked through it. My only real complaint was the beach, which I thought, was actually dangerous and a huge difference to us when we compared it against the one at Fairmont's. We split our stay; half at Fairmont and half at a place that I forget on St. lawrence gap. The Gap has more restaurants and hustle and bustle.
    For restaurants if you did only one night out, The Cliff is incredible; google it. Also Olives Bistro and Bar is good. There are many but The Cliff is dramatic.

It's hard reading reviews because everyone's idea of what is "nice" varies. That's why we always go for a 4 or 5 star
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• At tripadvisor, you can read reviews of both Almond and Turtle and actually email the person who wrote the review for more specific questions, that's what I do. I just emailed someone about their stay at Hawk's Cay in the Florida Keys. Were you looking for a kids' club? You could also do 90 percent of your stay at an all inclusive and two nights elsewhere? Thing is, cabs are expensive. I guess decide what is important, the pool area/kid club or the beach. My kids are little so they like the pool. We're taking them to Grand Cayman, smooth water, good pool. Like Turks and Caicos. I wish I could be more helpful.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• thanks hun! i really appreciate your help. i absolutely loved mango bay, and that is in st james. ABV is in st peters, which i know is next to st james. the beach is beautiful in st james, and i wonder if it is as nice in st peters. clean rooms, and a nice calm clear beach is important to me, but i need to keep the kids busy. some sort of crafts or the like for my 10 yrs old daughter, and preferably golf for my 14 old son. ABV fits the bill, but i dont know how the beach is. soooo confusing!
    PAWPAUSE

Answer by PAWPAUSE at 12:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2009