putting yourself into labor....do or don't?

So im 38 weeks along and yes I am misarable (sp?) half the time. I have this friend who has two kids of her own, who keeps telling me I should do this and I should do that so that I will go into labor early. Even though I think it's wrong to push it and I explaned this to her over and over again, she seems to think its okay to still call me up and say things like "lets take a long walk and get this baby to come" I wanna choke her and if she didnt take my kid for me a few hours on the days im most drained I would of by now. Point here is I was just wondering what other mom's thoughts about the idea of doing things to induce your own labor are. I believe it's best to wait till your baby is ready, not you. Now if you pass your due date, then that change's things for me. I have to have a c-section this time since my 1st was one and I picked the due date cuz it was the latest my doctor would allow. I just hope baby's ready that day

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• exlax??? That sounds like a really bad idea...you would crap all over the table, I know most people do, but could you imagine? ewww!! As for the q about a VBAC, yeah I thought about it till I was 5 mos along. I told my story about my first birth up on Answer number 3 on this page. Trust me, if that was you...you would be having a c sec too! I didnt mention that I tore thanx to the forceps. Try recovery from a tear with 2 stitchs and staples from a last minute c sec on top of an infection from how long I made them hold off on a c-sec after my water broke. I was a stubburn bitch in that delivery room, and I paid for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i was in your shoes with my last. closer and closer to my due date and just wanted to be done. walking just put me in more pain and didn't help. tried a couple little things, but she came when she was ready. and that is the best way to do it. unless you are like 43 weeks or something, i wouldn't do c-section. even if they think the baby is gettin big and you are close to your due date.... they are always wrong about how big the baby is. sometimes by 2 whole lbs! they are much easier to deal with if you let them come on their own! labor is also alot easier
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The only time I am all for natural labor induction is when it's safer for the mom to deliver than to stay pregnant such as pregnancy induced hypertention issues.

I think it's much better for a mom to try and naturally induce than to have a medical induction for c-section that can be avoided. It's also much safer and enjoyable for mom and baby.

We've been trying to induce labor for the last week and nothing has worked but my blood pressure is getting worse and worse so if I can't go on my own soon they may have to induce. I had a REALLY bad reaction to my first induction and almost died from it so we are trying SAFE natural things.

Nothing has worked so far so I know my body isn't ready but it certainly doesn't hurt to try and get a safe birth for me and baby.

But as for inducing "just because" I'm against it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well the reason I chose to have a c section is because with my first I had a hell of a time. I went in thinking ok Im doing this all natural! Well I sat at 81/2cm for 5 hours, 1 1/2 after they broke my water. So I started to puch to get things moving...after a little over an hour of pushing the contractions became so bad I asked for the epidural (sp?) Once I got I pushed again and still got no where. We then tried forceps (again sp?) well once that didn't work either we did the c-section. And for fear of having to do that all over again I chose to have an elective c-section with this pregnancy. Oh and yes I did think about a vbac for a long time. At about 5 months I made the choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I walked a ton at work. Up and down stairs, up and down hallways. I once used one of those step counters and I walk almost 2.5 miles in a 6.5 hour day. I continued to walk all the way up until my water broke at work. I think the walking is what made my water break at 38 weeks. My doctor thinks that as well.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think that when the baby is ready to come, you will know. You will go into labor when the time is right. Don't try to force it. The only time I would say try to put yourself in labor is if you are already a week or so past the due date.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i know how you feel, my mother in law is driving me nuts with that crap too. she wants me to go out and walk in the heat, and take exlax and other stupid stuff. i pretty much just ignore her and then vent to my husband about it. its really best to wait until the baby is ready, or until your doctor says you're ready. dont do anything without talking to your doctor first.
    littlemomma899

Answer by littlemomma899 at 6:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I walked all over the place as well which put me in labor, but when I went in they found out she was breech and as soon as my water broke a couple hours later i had an emergency c at 38 wks. They never detected she was breech until I went into labor. If you are going to have a c then wouldn't try to induce or anything and just wait. If baby tries to come before then ok, but if not that's fine too. IMO
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i say don't. and i agree w/ you. when baby is ready baby will come.
    as for the c/s, have you talked to your dr about a VBAC?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009