At what age did you start to potty train your little one?

My daughter is 13 months and I have another one on the way. I was kind of hoping that I could get her potty trained before the new baby comes. I wanted to get an idea of the age that she might be ready.

Dodie702

Asked by Dodie702 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they say about 18 months is a good age to start. IMO she's a little young... there are signs to look for to say she's ready or not :
    http://www.babyzone.com/loadpage/topic.asp?u=y&when=1&ulrname=potty_toilet_training&topiculrname=potty_toilet_training&

gl!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by "start".
    We got the little potty and a couple of simple storybooks at 12 months.
    We talked about, let her watch me, all the usual things but kept it low key.
    We encouraged her to sit on the potty from time to time - sometimes she would, usually she wouldn't. She flatly refused to sit on the potty for more than about 30 seconds until 27 months.
    So full training started then - at 27 months.

Every child is different. Every family is different. If I had to do it over, I'd probaby put her on a schedule of sitting on the potty every hour at 12 months and see where it went - instead of waiting until we were in the middle of the "terrible twos" "NO" phase.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• obviously I can't train alex yet but mym om started training all 4 of us as soon as we could walk steadily and say potty or give some kind of sign that we had to go. I was trained at 12 months, my older brother was trained at 12 months, the twins were trained at 13 and 15 months (my sister took a little longer). All of my brothers kids took forever though and most were trained by 3 yrs the middle boy was trained by 18 months. It depends on the baby though, if Lyly is showing signs of knowing she has to go before she goes it might be time to try, you can always buy a little potty and put her on it for a few minutes every hour and praise her if she pottys in it and see if she grasps what is going on... but remember all kids are different, my mom just told me via yahoo that my sisters daughter who is 3.5 yrs old still does not go poo all the time in the potty
    gordonowens

Answer by gordonowens at 12:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• 13 months is awfully young to start. My 2 year old started at 22 months, when he walked into our room and begged to sit on the potty, then peed in it right away. Just start when she starts showing signs.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 7:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2009