why do people keep saying amniotic fluid is clear?!?!

when i had my amniocentesis last week they extracted YELLOW-ish fluid, which the doctor said is the color of amniotic fluid & that it was normal. why would it come out clear if it's in there with a yellow tint?? everyone just keeps saying that when the water leaks it will be clear...but is that really the case??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure they test by pH. So if you are worried go get some pH strips so you can test if you leak. Trust me if you pop you will know it. Your bladder doesn't hold that much! but if you leak you might want to be able to check it out before you haul into the hospital of Dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• mine was pretty clear...it was all over the white tiles at work and it looked pretty clear to me. It might have had a slight yellow tint but mine was pretty clear.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Why does it matter? As long as it isn't dark, it is fine. I think they mean clear as in not opaque...you know that you can see through it and it isn't cloudy or colored from the baby's first BM.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Mine was clear too. I mean it may have had a yellow tint but not that I could tell! My water broke while I was in the bathroom (which the toilet was perfectly clean, porcelain white) and there was no color to it. But it did have a sweet, almost rose-like smell.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i only asked because everyone says that if i leak i will know its not pee because it will be clear instead of having any color to it...since i have a bladder leakage problem i want to know how to tell the difference i just dont think the color is going to be helpful if it has a yellow tint too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The color can vary slightly- with time and exposure to air. Much like your blood... it isn't bright red when it is inside- not until it becomes exposed to oxygen. :0) Bodily fluids are tricky that way.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It also has to do with concentration of the liquid. During the test the liquid was concentrated in the vile, when you leak, it is free flowing and not concentrated therefor the color, if any would not be noticable.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• mine broke on the floor and was crystal clear like tap water
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 10:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• when they do an amnio it does appear somewhat yellow-ish but for the most part it's opaque/ clear. mine was completely clear. it broke on the bed and there were no stains, no smell, nothing.
    RAGUmomof2

Answer by RAGUmomof2 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009