• In the Spotlight:

Should disney channel put up a LGBT television show? why or why not?

disney channel is a well know channel for young kids everywhere, even some teens watch it just for fun. i think they should put a LGBT show on it. its 2009 its time to start to change. a show with a LGBT couple would show kids that they can be them selfs and dont have to hid who they are just because they like a different gender. its obvious that kids want one, i can even prove it. on fanfiction.net (a popular site ware kids can write and post fanfiction), hannah montana has 9,018 fanfictions. out of those fanfictions the most popular paring is miley and lilly with 586 fanfictions. if you dont know what fanfiction is, its when people write storys about what they wish would happen in television shows.

so from that i think i can say that the kids want it, the question is would parents allow it?

smartkid

Asked by smartkid at 1:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Entertainment

• Heck No
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• A lot of parents would protest....but it would be surprising if Disney DIDN'T do it. The company's gay population is pretty high.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• but disney channel has been on for years and they havnt yet.
    smartkid

Answer by smartkid at 1:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My children wouldn't be watching Disney anymore. Disney is for kids. Sure some teens watch it, heck, I know some young adults that enjoy Hannah Montana, but that certainly doesn't mean shows that are geared towards 7&8 year olds and enjoyed by children as young as 4 should have gay and lesbian themes (not that I approve of 4 year olds watching Hannah Montana). It's not the place, in my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• That's dumb! Little kids shouldn't even have to worry about that! Maybe teens, but for all you know Dora could be hiding in the closet. Do you really think your children should even be thinking of sex at this age? NO!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I firmly believe that the American population has control over what is in the media. The themes that companies promote in shows, movies, music (ect.) is in direct response to what makes the most money. We control what makes the most money by what we support. If Disney felt that they would gain more viewers and revenue by having a GLBT show, I'm sure they would have one. If they feel that having a GLBT is not going to generate viewers (or instead, cause viewers to shop watching), they're not going to do it. A company's concern with being "progressive" and "inclusive" is always trumped by their bottom line.

That being said, if Disney patrons feel strongly about a GLBT show being aired, they should rally support and prove to Disney that it would be benneficial to their company and that they would indeed have viewers. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I personally have no opinion on the matter. If I don't like a show, we don't turn it on. Period.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• a lot of people are saying that no little kids shouldnt be exposed to a lesbian or gay couple at a young age. but if you actually watch the show miley and jake had a makeout session during a few episodes. what makes that ok and not a lesbian relationship? im not saying they have to have sex on the show or anything im just saying that it should just as ok to have a gay relationship on tv as it is to have a straight relationship.
    smartkid

Answer by smartkid at 2:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• And a show featuring a same-sex couple raising a child doesn't have to be any more "sexual" than a show featuring a opposite-sex couple raising a child. The inference that anything involving homosexuality will be ridden with sexual themes and innappropriate themes when the only difference between their relationship and a heterosexual relationship is gender, is a horrible stereotype. Gay themes or being gay does not mean these individuals are sexual deviants or perverts that flaunt PDA all over the place in innappropriate ways. Being gay means you have a relationship preference to someone of the same sex. I would suspect that a children's show involving a same-sex couple would show no more "sex" than a children's show with opposite-sex only couples. Again, it doesn't matter to me...but I stop stereotypes when I can.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I see no problem with it actually. Provided the children were old enough to understand a "relationship". I don't think any show that depicts any teenaged relationship is appropriate for a toddler or preschooler. I just don't like the idea of little kids watching two "big kids" make out or anything like that. But a tween, I would be comfortable with. There is a show called DeGrassi, that is geared for high school students. They have a handful of gay and lesbian characters. I think it is nice to show how they can interact with their straight friends and still be accepted for who they are. DeGrassi has content that is wildly inappropriate for children younger than about 15 or so, but you get the idea I am sure.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2009