Am I overreacting?

My husband and I are separated and going through a divorce and he is staying with a friend of his. He used to be my friend as well, but since we split up, he ended up siding with my husband and now openly doesn't like me. He didn't side with him because he actually cared about what was going on between the two of us, and never wanted to hear anything I had to say, despite the fact that he and I had been friends also. The reason he sided with him was that he is gay and has always blatantly and openly had a crush on my husband....and now is living with him. Well, he was at a public event that I was at tonight in our community and my one year old daughter was crawling around and he "jokingly" swung his leg back and then forward like he was going to kick her. It REALLY pissed me off. I didn't think it was remotely funny. Am I overreacting to be so annoyed and pissed off by it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I dont think u are. I would be upset too if someone who was a "friend" decided to act like that to an inocent child. Knowing me I would have marched right up & given him a piece of my mind loudly but that also gets me into a world of trouble as well. If he's siding w/ ur husband then he's not a true friend & all over a crush he has on a straight guy such high school drama, I cant stand stuff like that.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It just bothers me that someone would make a gesture, "joking" or not, that, if they actually did it, would be harming someone's child. It really upsets me. I would never do anything like that. It's so rude....and potentially dangerous....what if he accidentally DID kick her? -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would Kick him in the balls.. HARD! lol Then I'd say whoops I was just trying to jokingly gesture..must have slipped..whoopsie daisy. The I'd tell him sternly."if you ever "play" like that again my foot will be going up you butt!".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would've kicked his *ss!!! Who cares about what that moron thinks about your ex, but to even joke about kicking your baby is messed up and yeah, I would've flipped out. What did you do?
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• And back to anonymous.... Don't kick him in the butt, he'd like that!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I picked her up and I left. I was shocked. I didn't even know what to say to him. He hasn't spoken to me in weeks because of all the stupid crap going on with my husband, and then he sees me in a public setting and does something like that. I was livid. Like I said, I would NEVER joke about physically harming someone's child. That's awful. What purpose is there to doing it? And like I also said, what if you did something like that jokingly and accidentally DID whatever it was you were joking about? And yes, he would like it, so that might not be a good idea. LOL. -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• LOL, I know hah, I thought about that while I was typing, haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• First of all I don't think that you are overracting, but I do feel that your mutual friend was in a difficult position and should have stayed the mutual friend. It is one thing to be there for your friends but when you take sides it makes things a lot more complicated especially when it comes to a relationship.

Second with him 'jokingly' kicking your daughter was out of line. He could have really hurt her then what??? I would take a step back and think was he ever a really true friend. I can't tell you what to do in this situation but my best advice for you would be to focus on your daughter right now.
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 2:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Stay away from both of them
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• He would have been laid out sorry but yeah I have a bad temper and ya know what the one thing that will always set me off is someone messing with my kids period they are the one no no totally off limits
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2009