What is the best way to tell if ur child has an ear infection?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 2:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had several ear infections and now that he got tubes put in he will have less of them..first way to tell if your child has an ear infection is to watch and see if they tug at their ears. Second pain is a huge indicator...when my son had them he would wake up in the middle of the night crying. Third, fever usually a mild one will occur during most infections so be sure to check your childs temp every few hours....and if tylenol doesn't seem to help or you have concerns of an ear infection get an appt with your child's pediatrician.
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 2:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• lol I am so tired I typed that in twice hehe
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Only one of my four ever pulled at their ears, but if they do, that's most likely the problem. My kids usually have an achy body, runny nose and are EXTREMELY cranky.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 2:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My DD has been cranky & she throws tantrums but during it shakes her head like shes saying "no". My SO mentioned today that he thought she might have one but I dont know, shes sleeping fine at night, had a bad case of dhiarria (sp) for the pass week but it has gotten a lot better. I personally think shes going through a transition she just turned 18 mo & I simply think we're getting a new attitude, shes very whiny (sp) too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• WHen it's really bad they can get a fever or if they act dizzy. Sometimes they are off balance if there's a prob with their ears.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well in the last week shes fallen on her butt a few times b/c she was dizzy which is kinda out of the ordinary for her. Maybe I should call her dr on monday if she gets any worse or still acts like this. I hate calling them for simple reasons though b/c they always say come on in & we've gone in sooo many times for them to say oh well there is nothing wrong or there is nothing we can do for u just get some rest, its so annoying when this happens. If only u knew how many times we've been in & out of dr's offices & hosp u'd understand why I am not fond of having to go in when we really dont need to.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Usually, they pull ( and , or) rub their ears a lot. Fever, vomiting, or also all of them together. Diahrea is also a sign, it could also be her teething ( two year molars). My daughter started getting hers around that age too. They are very cranky, and whinny . & Even though the doctors tell me that ear infections have nothing to do with teething, i do not believe them. Its the only time my daughter got ear infections. Good luck.
    i would make an appoinment, and get her ears checked.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Thanks moms you've been a great help! I really appreciate your responses :) We'll get everything figured out on monday.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Take them to the doctor. My son had ear infections and never pulled on his ears, wasn't whiney. wasn't dizzy. The only way I suspected an ear infection were the 106 degree temps and late night visits to the ER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My oldest had a history of ear infections. Sometimes he showed no symptoms- it seemed like he just had a cold. Other times he would be extremely cranky and pull at his ears. One morning he woke up at 4am screaming of ear pain- and what soothed him (till we could get him in to the doctor that morning) was a warm, wet washcloth. He put his ear on that and it helped.
    My 3rd son had 1 double ear infection- he just had cold symptoms- fever, diarreah (sp??) for a few days, throwing up, very cranky...

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2009