is this enough or too much?

my 2 week old is eating 4 ounces of expressed breast milk, and sometimes she will eat another 2 on top of that..am i feeding her too much? i know everyone says if shes hungry feed her and dont worry about how much, but im just curious if this is common...note that she was 8.8 pounds when born.

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 3:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no feed her how ever much she needs if she is hungry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It's easy to overfeed with a bottle...they take it because they can't really stop the flow. I take it baby is not at the breast at all, then?

My biggest concern for you is keeping up with her intake...if you're exclusively pumping it is the hard way to go.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i agree with g...baby's can over-eat with a bottle but won't at the breast. can you put her to breast? do you have to pump? maybe she just needs to comfort suck? breastmilk and formula are completely different in terms of absorption, digestion, and amounts needed (and many other ways as well). baby usually only needs one ounce for every hour. how often is she feeding?
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I had to pump with my twins and bottle feed them (also had to supplement formula). They werent taking that much till about 6 wks- 2 months, but they were preemies and were less then 5lbs. Yeah for you to be pumping for them!!! It is time consuming, but as your baby gets older it will get easier. They are now 6 months- I pump for my daughter, but my son decided at 4 months that he would like to breast feed. So, they both get bottles in the AM, then he nurses the other 3 feedings and she gets pumped milk w/formula. I also pump before I go to bed- it gives me enough milk for her with very little formula supplement per bottle. We are also on solids now. If you are still trying to nurse her and want to know what worked for my son, message me. If you are concerned about the amount she is eating, call your DR. If she is gaining and staying in basically the same %tile each visit, I think your ok. She could be growth spurt.
    momo972002

Answer by momo972002 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My Ds when he was on the bottle would cry at the end of the bottle. Not because he was hungry but because he was mad the bottle was gone. I would let him fuss for a min or so. If he was still upset after that then I would make him more. My Ped told me 2-2.5 oz. per pound of body weight. Whats not taken in at one meal may be made up at the next... So a 10 lb baby would get between 20-25 oz. per day. Talk to your ped about it though. If your baby is not over weight, proportionate, then their is no problem with how much you are feeding.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i disagree that bottle fed babies are easy to overfeed. they dont eat if they arent hungry, period.

if your baby wants 6 oz, feed her 6 oz.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 10:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• no it isnt to much both of my boys ate 4 oz when they were that aold my son whos 3 weeks eats 5 oz right now they wont over eat and they wotn go hungry i say it is fine nothin to worrie about
    lovergirl1014

Answer by lovergirl1014 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2009