holding her own bottle...

She is 7 months old. I have tried and tried to get her to hold it. I place her hands and she just smacks the bottle so hard that sometimes it knocks it out of my hands. I have tried proping it up and hoping that she will grab it....nothing. We have tried the sippy and she just doesnt understand. I know she is old enough....why isnt she doing it....??? It's not that i mind feeding her. I love that bonding time. I'm just afraid that something is wrong. She wont even try it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry, she will soon! Sounds to me she's very stubborn and knows that by batting it away and such she will get to spend time with you :) Is she you're only one/first one? I was like that with mine and always wanted her to hold it... it came too quickly now (she's 19 mo) and now she won't even sit still with me for 10 minutes. I know you want her to reach those milestones and she will. She prob will be doing it in a couple weeks to a month if not tomorrow!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• our youngest just started holding it on his own around 10 months old - he didn't do it all the time, just once in a while. after a few days, I would just hand it to him or sit it near him and he got the message - if you want it, go get it yourself. now, if you try to feed it to him he smacks your hands until you let it go :-) and gives you a dirty look like "what do I look like, a friggin newborn? Jeez, mom, cut it out".
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My twins are 6mo and I have been trying the same thing! They wont even open their hands for the bottle. We are doing better with the sippy cup- they hold it with both hands, bring it to their mouths and act like they are drinking! I'm not sure how much they get. I dont put milk in sippy- watered down juice. I read somewhere not to put milk in cup- use water or juice. She will figure it out, as will my two. All babies develop at different stages, and what is "normal" for one is not for the other. I definately see this with the twins. No worries - she still needs that mommy time with you.
    momo972002

Answer by momo972002 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have the same problem with my son. He is 8 months. I know he can hold it tho. He will hold my cell phone, the remote, and my nintendo DS. Those things arent light. But wen it comes to his bottle he jus drops it. I think hes jus plain lazy lol
    Brittany099

Answer by Brittany099 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• holding bottles isnt a milestone. neither of my kids did until 10 months and i took away the bottle shortly after.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 10:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• LOL my sons a year old now and didnt start until 11 months he would smack it away too! STILL at 1 years old he needs to be laying down a bit upright to hold it. He can sit and hold it but does not get the concept on tilting his head back to get the rest!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 12:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My son didn't start holding his bottle UP until he was around 10 months, so don't worry. just keep trying.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009