REPOST:This isn't meant to be offensive, REALLY!

What is the politically correct term for the word "retarded"? I mean really! I was asking earlier and not even 2 minutes after I posted it, it got deleted! WTF?!?! I'm serious dude!

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 3:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Mentally handicapped or developmentally disabled are the two that I hear most commonly. I have a good friend that works for a company that helps highly functioning, but handicapped people life their own lives outside of long term care facilities, and those are the terms that corporate uses there.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• So like what do you say? Oh, My neighbors' boy is a highly functional handicapped person? That sounds kinda like LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG to say

I mean I'm genuinely interested
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Life their own lives? WTF was that? I am a little tired right now! You know what I meant thought. I am not technically sure of the "correct" terminology.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I know a few years ago you could say, "Oh well I have a neighbor who's "special"." Meaning mentally ~insert proper term~, I mean that IS the MEDICAL term for it
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Life their own lives? <~~huh?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My first post I meant to type "live their own lives" but when I reread it, I realized I had typed "life their own lives."
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• ohhhhhhhhhh...Even I missed that one...
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• you know mentaly retarded seems to be a technical term to me, growht can be retarded and so can other things...I really hate how PC this country thinks they have to be, why do the masses have to conform to the minority that get all butt hurt over the smallest things??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think the TECHNICAL term is mentally handicapped......or mentally disabled.... otherwise idk...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• According to Wikipedia:
    Retardation is the act or result of delaying; the extent to which anything is retarded or delayed; that which retards or delays. In particular, it can mean:

In medicine

* Mental retardation
    * Psychomotor retardation

In science and engineering

* Negative acceleration in mechanics (i.e. rate of decrease of velocity)
    * Retardation factor in chromatography
    * Retarded potential in electrodynamics

Other

* A process used in proofing (baking technique)
    * A suspension (music) that resolves downward.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009