Has anyone else's child had a little felon moment??

Yesterday my mama, my 5 year daughter Jaylyn and I went shopping. She did really well except for the shoes I kept wanting her to try on weren't "cute" enough for her. We were at Ulta the make up atore checking out when my mama said you might wanna check her little purse she brought in. I didn't think I would find anything . I DID!! My sweet little angle had taken 2 little blushes and a blush brush. I was surprised. So then I checked her pockets, she didn't have anything else, but I was having to frisk my 5 year old. All I could think was I am raising a felon. I got onto her, and made her apologize to the woman behind the counter. We also bought her a couple of things that she won't be getting for a few days. I felt like this awful mother who is raising my kid without knowing what is wrong. I get she is only 5, but I guess I thought I had taught her better. I was just surprised.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 7:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe that almost every child tests the water at some point or another to see if breaking society's rules carry any consequences. I think that you handled the situation appropriately. I think that I might add a little talk once we got home to re-enforce why it is wrong, but sounds like you did great to me. Good luck
    KeeleyDawn

Answer by KeeleyDawn at 9:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• when I was 5 I tried stealing as well.... just candy tho and when my mom found out she made me go back to the store and pay for it all with my allowance. It was SOO embarassing I haven't done it since. My dd is still too little to understand (19 mo) but if she ever does and I catch her i will do what my mother made me do!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I think making her take responsibility for her actions was the best thing you could have done for her. She needs to understand that broken rules and laws have consequences that ALL people are subject to. I feel like so many kids feel entitled to things or exempt from severe punishments. I don't know that I would have rewarded her behavior with a purchase because she may think that bad behavior may also mean special treat.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We had already bought the things before then. Oh no she didn't get anything else after that.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I also think that the concept of paying for things is a tough one to grasp for little ones. Just talk to her about it on a regular basis and maybe incorporate your or your SO's job into the conversation to help her make it seem more real. She will understand and if you are already aware of it, she won't be a felon for long....;)
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Yep, my child took a sucker, And I took him to security. he was told he would be
    Put in jail if he did it again. The manager laughed and wanted to give him the sucker.
    It was not funny!
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I don't think it's uncommon. My 2 year old used to do that when I was watching the baby and not him (he'd put stuff in the strollers, did it like 3 times over the year!). I always bring the thing back and have him apologise and try to make him understand that we can't take things till we've paid. It is hard to understand when they are young, though I think by 5 they would.

As long as you make her understand it's very seriously wrong, you are probably OK.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Oh yes, it's almost a right of passage for some kids :). But I have a story from the other side, when I worked as a night manager at a drug store we had this mom come into the store, she had been in earlier but figured she forgot something. Next thing I knew she is standing at my station with a crying little guy (maybe 5-6) she looks at him and says "tell her" he looks up with these little puppy dog eyes and say's "I'm sorry, I took this pencil and knew it was wrong" and he hands me back this $.25 pencil. All I wanted to do was hand him back that pencil and give him a big hug, my kids were only 2-3 and the time, so the mommy in me only saw the tears. I told the mom it was ok, but she was having none of that, I doubt that little guy took anything else in his life, I doubt he even remembers the instance but I still do to this day!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I really hope I got through to her. When we got home I explained why we don't take things. I explained it by asking her how she would like it if someone took something of her's. She said she wouldn't like that so I told her that is what stealing is. I also told her that if the store ever catches her she would be in very bad trouble. So I think she gets it, I just hope it sticks.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2009