Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my water broke but contractions haven't started yet. I don't want to rush to the long do I have before I NEED to go or NEED contractions to start?

I stood up to walk across the room a few hours ago and there was a small gush of fluid that came out in 2 different little sperts.

Within minutes I had bloody show and I've been having a watery mucus discharge since.

I did start having pressure in my lower back and vagina almost right away and I have had some contractions but they are definately not regular and not frequent.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to be put on a Pitocin drip so I haven't rushed off to the hospital just yet.

How long do I have before I NEED to go to the hospital to have my labor augmentated?

If I have to do this how effective is a breast pump at getting contractions going?

I want pit to be a last resort kind of thing.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (44)
  • I'd say get in touch with you OB or delivery specialist and talk it over with her. They may want to monitor you and the baby, or they may say give it a while. But just in case, give them a call. Good luck!

    Answer by Bmat at 8:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • I went to the doc when my water broke and because I had no contractions they let me go home as long as I went to the hospital within a few hours.

    Answer by HolliBerry21 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Hmmm....I may be totally wrong, but I thought that you were suppose to go if your water breaks, contractions or not. I think I would call your doctor or the doc on call for your clinic and get advice there, just to be safe.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • I wouldn't go until contractions start. With my first child I went to the hospital as soon as my water broke and they did an internal exam right away to confirm that it had indeed broken after that I had no choice but to be put on pitocin (internal exam can introduce infection so they need to get things moving). Call your ob though...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Don't make it too long. You have 24 hours to deliver the baby after your water breaks. After water breaks there is enough amniotic fluid to allow the baby to breathe. Since the baby is head down, the fluid comes to the bottom of his ear lobes. After 24 hours there will be very little left and probably not enough for baby to breathe in. Try walking to induce the contractions. If they haven't started in about 3 hours, I would go in. Good Luck and congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • once your water breaks if labor doesnt start wich it should they will automatically try some drugs to start them up or give u emergency c section because a women cant go for hours with a broken water only because it is not good for the baby good luck!

    Answer by ohmama213 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • I would go to the hospital. My water broke with my first my water broke and I didnt have any contractions but I went right to the hospital they didnt put me on pitocin right away but waited. Your contractions also may never bocome regular, so I dont think you can go by that to much. They gave me pitocin after I had been there a few hours and even with the pitocin I never got regular contractions so just dont wait to long.

    Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • Remember that your contractions don't have to be regular to dialate and efface your cervix. If you wait too long, you could end up delivering at home in the parking lot. I would go now and just ask to hold off on the pitocin. My water broke with both of my kids and I did end up getting pitocin but only after several hours of my contractions not being strong enough. Neither hospital immediately put me on pitocin, they both waited 6+ hours.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • I hope that by now you are at the hospital. When your water breaks you need to go even if no contractions. If you wait too long your baby could be at risk for infection also.

    Answer by momo972002 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

  • My water broke at 36w6d. I was told to go to the hospital when it did break, contractions or not. After about 20 hours they gave me antibiotics to stop an infection that could start. So, I definitely wouldn't wait too long before going.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pregnancy
What if....

Next question overall (Health)
What is going on? *TMI*