Pit Bull ?

I have to ask: What is the big deal with pit bulls right now? They are a bigger fad than that Twilight series. They're more popular than English Bull Dogs now that everyone has seen that Rob Dyrdek has 2 and I just don't get it. There are fights all over cm about this topic and I see siggy's that are just pics of someones dog every day. My "favorite" is the siggy that says that a person is more likely to get hit in the head with a coconut and a bunch of other impossible crap than to get bitten by a pit bull. I'm not bashing the breed, but I think we all know that they wouldn't be banned in many areas if they never attacked anyone. Anyways, I'm totally aware of the fact that any dog can attack and all of that good stuff, I've just been wondering this since the day I joined cm: What's with all the pit bulls? Why is it the new cool thing to take pics of your babies climbing on a dog that's banned in areas for being agressive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pets

• pitbulls are only aggressive if bad owners.. read up on it the dog escaped my basement and attacked or my child went down into the basement.. wtf was your pitbull doing in your basement. i grew up with pitbulls my whole life.. and my 6 month olds favorite play buddy is 2 pitbulls that lick her to death and sleep at her feet when she naps and sleep under her crib at night.. hell ive seen vicious min pins! so way i see it unless you have owned a pitbull or have history with them you dont have an opinion on them.. call me rude a bitch whatever but im so sick of the bad names people give them and half the time the people dont know the whole story or hell even been around them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• oh and pitbulls are fucking awesome family dogs. but you know all cause of things you've heard right.. eh annoying PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• But why are they so popular now? Everyone and their sister has a pit bull right now, they are the trendy dog to have and I can't figure out why. It has to make people feel bad ass or something to have a "dangerous dog."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• its not a dangerous dog at all .. i dont feel like a bad ass by any means .. they are just really sweet dogs and they were always around.. but cause of attacks of some and the morons that fight them.. have made them more a media freenzy and its rather sad thats happened cause now people that never had them classify them as dangerous dogs and it saddens me.. greatly mine are soo sweet.. but then again im a great owner.. not a mean stupid lets fight and beat my dog type!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTXxJoT9BQ
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have one, and it's not b/c it is "trendy". He was a friend of my family's dog, and he couldn't keep him anymore. Rather than send him to a shelter where he would probably be killed, we took him in. He was 3 months old. He is protective, but NOT aggressive. He has never done anything to hurt my kids. My neighbors have a chihuaha (I know that isn't spelled right) that is way more aggressive. It constantly tries to stick its nose thru the chainlink fence to bite my dog or my kids. It does not make me feel like a bad ass to have my dog, it makes me feel safe and protected to know that I have a dog that will make someone think twice about coming on my property uninvited, and that will fight to protect my children. If you don't like the breed, don't get one. But it's not up to you what the rest of us do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• there is one that roams our neighbor hood & he's the sweetest dog ever, if the owners would have let us keep him, we would have (thought he was a stray) he's better with my 2 y/o dd than our basset hound... any dog can bite if treated poorly
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Good reputable breeders make excellent pit bulls. They are awsome dogs if bred for good temperment and raised right.

I would love to have one but I have 3 small children and pit bulls can by energetic. I don't want to be irresponsible and take on more than I can handle. When my children are bigger, I'll more than likely look into a getting a good family dog. Most likely a pit bull but I will make sure one fits our lifestyle.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• They have been popular, even more popular than they are now, before. Because they are wonderful family dogs and wonderful work dogs.

They were used as message carries during war, and a Pit was even decorated for service. They are the mascot for RCA company. They were used as 'nanny dogs' for children.

They are wonderful animals. Even when they were first started to be used for dog fighting, which is despicable, there was a line that stated 'Mankillers Die'. It is NOT in a normally bred Pit Bull's nature to be aggressive for humans, otherwise they wouldn't have been used as nanny dogs. A human aggressive pit bull is NOT a 'good' pit bull. The only real possibly aggressive trait they have is that they don't always do well with other animals. They are very high energy, and they are big, lovable goofballs. They have to be able to fit your lifestyle, or shouldn't get one. CONT
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:20 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Nor should you get one if you can't handle the work that goes into the breed.

They are touted as being so aggressive because of the idiots that fight them (Which even then, there's not anything necessarily wrong with the animal other than it's abuse, as long as it isn't human aggressive), and because of idiots breeding them to be people aggressive. Many of the dogs I've seen used for fighting still loved kids and adults. Severe abuse like that is a sure fire wire to screw up an animal. And you hear about pit bull attacks and bites so often because they're bites are often so severe.

More dog bites are from dogs like Chihuahuas, but who wants to report that? They'll only report on the dogs with more severe bites, even if it's a dog less likely to bite, especially b/c of the bad rap the media helps worsen.

Ever hear of the chihuahua that mauled an infant?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2009