Do petitions really work?

If you present a petition with x amount of signatures, does that really help legislation decide on laws?

shabby.chic

Asked by shabby.chic at 8:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Real" physical petitions can be used to do some good...you can't ever guarantee that they will be listened to but they have a real chance.

Online petitions to the gov't as well intended as they may be are simply a waste of your time. No one will recognize them as valid. There is no way to prove the 'signatures'.

Online petitions to business' and such may or may not have an impact depending on the business...

There are several websites you can find that will give you a more detailed explanation of why online petitions don't work; than this gives me space to share...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Not always .Online petitions will not work. Like when you want to petition something ,you need to have peoples names,addresses and signatures.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• That's what I was wondering. I get so many emails and online requests to sign a petition, but I don't bother because I assume they are useless anyway. But then I feel guilty : /
    shabby.chic

Answer by shabby.chic at 8:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Higher ups usually don't care what random people think.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 8:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yes that is why there are so many revolutions in the history of people rising up making a stand .. i think they do work we had once where it was to stop an airport being built in our small town of 13k we got 4500 siggys needless to say the airport did NOT go up
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Online petitions don't help but you can call, write or email your reps and they will respond. Depending on where you live and what it's for, written petitions can carry a lot of weight. Here in Cali a measure has to have a set number of signatures to be put on the ballot for statewide vote.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I sign the online ones I care about, and then write my reps about the issue, too.

I figure it can't hurt.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Here in Cali they do. That's how we get things like Medical Marijuana on the ballot.
    Anonymous