Bedwetting...5 year old still wears a pullup and bedwets almost every night. any suggestions?

My 5 year old step son wets the bed every night. He doesn't even wake up when he does pee. He still has to wear a pull up every night. We went to the doctor and were told he will grow out of it but does anyone have any advice on how to help this along?

CharletteP

Asked by CharletteP at 9:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD is 25 now..But when she was young she wet in the bed tell around 5 or 6..She grew out of it..We have a history of family members wetting the bed. So I didn't like it, but new it might happen to one of my kids.Bring him to the doctor..If they can't do anything about it..He will grow out of it..You should be glad they make diapers for older kids now..Back when I was dealing with this problem they didn't..I did a lot of laundry each day.

Answer by louise2 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Get him some underjams. You won't have wet sheets and pj's every morning.
    No drinks after dinner (except a sip of water).
    Wake him up to go potty before you go to bed.
    Be patient and understanding. No punishments for bed wetting. This is frustrating for him too.
    This is a common problem at that age, especially for boys. Their bladder control develops later than for girls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My daughter was peeing in her pull-up everynight too, after she was potty trained during the day, anyways. I got adivice form lots of people, the best adivce i got was to let her sleep with underwear, she had a few accidents but the pulls were like a dependent thing that i just had to break her out of. After an occasional accident she was fully potty trianed, day and night, in one month. Good luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Just keep buying pull-ups, don't make a big deal out of it and wait it out. My son wet the bed until he was 6 1/2 then stopped on his own. He's almost 8 and still wets the bed once in awhile but no longer every night.
    My middle daughter is 6 1/2 now and still wears a pull-up every night and wets the bed almost every single night and sometimes during naps. She's a very sound sleeper and doesn't wake up for anything (not even her body telling her she has to pee).
    Our doctor won't even look into other causes until they are 8 or 9 because she says it's normal (especially for boys) to wet the bed until they are 8.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• M 8 yr old is just now starting to grow out of it. She still wears a pull up every night. Sometimes she wakes up dry. Bed wetting is age appropriate for a 5 year old. Don't worry about it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• When I got guardianship of my kids they had this problem(all of them, they were 12, 8, and 5). I stopped giving my kids drinks after 5:30 or 6. I adjusted the time as neccesary until it was effective. I reminded them to go to the bathroom before bed every night. I never yelled at them or punished them, I just was like "ok, grab your sheets, lets get them in the wash". I had them put their own sheets into the washer and I did the rest. I wasn't about to put them all in pull ups that would have been humiliating. The only time they EVER got in trouble was when they threw their comforter on top of the pee and hid it (especially until bed). This wasn't an every night thing either. They did it more often when they saw their mom. They grew out of it really quickly. The youngest grew out of it by the time he was 6, maybe a little after. Hang in there.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 3:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I didn't do pull ups either, My youngest wasn't PT when I got him at 5 so I wasn't going to continue the extreme babying by using pull ups.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 3:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Try a bedwetting alarm. You can get one that has a sensor you can put inside a pull-up or his undies or you can get one that goes under his sheet. Either way, they have a high sucess rate.

And keeping a young child in pullups at night is not "babying". Many kids wet the bed no matter what they sleep in, no matter how wet they get by morning, many wet until their teen years. Having him help change his bed is a good idea but keeping him in pullups until he's dry at least 5 nights of the week is not babying or humiliating if he's been in them all along.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The only thing that worked for me was to drag her to the bathroom at about midnight everynight. I just made sure I took her to the bathroom about 3 hrs after she fell asleep. It was a pain,but better htan washing sheets.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2009