Can I do this to my daughter?

I have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old jack russell. They are very close we had him since she was 2. My problem is I am 7 months pregnant and feel I need to get rid of the dog before the baby comes. He is a really needy clingy dog, that sheds badly, won't stay off the furniture, and sometimes still goes in the house. I don't want that around my new baby let alone it will be too much work on me. He is so spoiled he wants to go for walks to go the bathroom he just cries when I tie him out. My problem is how can I break this to my daughter? Sometimes when I see them together I feel I can't do it at all. Does anyone have advice on how to get her to understand?

morganrae83

Asked by morganrae83 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I agree with preggoinmn, you took on this dog and it is a commitment. He isn't mean or a danger. You should keep him. You would also be setting a poor example for you daughter. I have 3 kids, 2 Great Danes, and a cat. I manage to keep the house very clean. Yes, the dogs do bring in their own brand of dirt, but we love them. You better think long and hard, and if you do get rid of that dog make sure it goes to a good home, and/or a no-kill shelter or rescue league. Then, don't ever take on a pet again.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• We transitioned my indoor/outdoor cat to just outdoor. Well, he actually did that more than we did. He could care less if he is in or out as long as he gets attention and is fed (his cat acts like a dog, I swear!). Would this work for you? You could even give your daughter the responsibility of feeding/ watering him. That's what I did when I was little. My two year old goes out with me every day to take care of the cat and we make sure to spend time out there so he gets attention.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Small dogs do not make good outdoors dogs. Really NO dogs make good "outdoors" dogs!
    I also echo what teachermom01 said.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• To answer your question, no matter what you tell your daughter she will always know that you gave away her dog. At age 5 she is attached and she should be able to learn to help with the care of the dog. If you just don't want to bother, well there's nothing you can do to change the truth. She loves her pet and it will hurt.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Well. You raised that dog to be clingy and you knew about his shedding long before baby #2 was a thought. You had plenty of time to re-train him and get his behavior in check.

I'm not bashing you. I bet you are feeling a bit overwhelmed about having another one and right now the only logical thing seems like to get rid of the extra stress in your life. I say get rid of the dog while your first child is small and hopefully wont remember it. Then don't get any more pets.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• while I partially agree with the others.... I have to also disagree to a point. Yes, pets should be a long term commitment. BUT, if someone isn't able to take care of a pet properly, the responsible thing to do is to find the animal a new home.

As far as your daughter goes, you have several choices. (1) The dog ran away. (2) you keep the dog to spare her feelings. (3) you talk to her about the dog and possible find out that she is OK with the dog getting a new home. (4) you talk to her and find out that she will be devestated by getting rid of the dog.

It is hard to know which way to go with this.... but if you feel that someone else will take care of the dog better after you have your hands full with a brand new baby, then you should follow through on that. But as one PP said, please try to find a new home for it or take him to a "no kill" shelter.

Good Luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• PS- I just went through this myself. I had no choice but to re-home our dog and cats. My kids were heartbroken, and they still talk about them sometimes. But, my kids are relatively OK. Sometimes you have to let go of people or pets (death, moving, ect) so learning to let go is sometimes a rite-of-passage. Hurts like heck... but loss is a part of life sometimes.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Find the dog a new home, do not tell your daughter that you are giving up the dog because of the baby, she could resent the baby over that. Just let her know the dog keeps having accidents on your floor and you are tired of cleaning up the mess that it can make her sick and get rid of the dang thing! Your children come BEFORE animals. People need to stop acting like its the end of the world to get rid of a pet, they are PETS not people!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Preggo.... bless your hormonal lil' heart. she didn't say it "comes" in the house.... she said it "goes" in the house.... as in, poops and pees in the house. Personally I wouldn't want feces on my nursery floor.

Maybe you can get a plane ticket and go rescue the dog yourself preggo.... then the dog can poop and shed all over your new babies stuff and every one will be happy.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• There is no reason why you can't still keep that little girl's dog. You can at least give it a shot. Start working with him now, and you may see a difference. Either way, you cant just toss him away because you think it might not work.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to re-home an animal now, for anything but free or really cheap? Do you know how many of those animals are taken by supposedly loving people who just sell them for vivisection, dog fighting, or target shooting? People who would feed him to their large snake, or get them just to hurt him?

Do you know what his chance for survival in a shelter is, right now?Many animals never even reach the adoption area. If they aren't considered 'adoptable' enough, they get straight to the furry death room.

You should seriously consider looking into training. Get a doorway gate to keep in away from certain areas of the house. Make sure your daughters help with feeding, etc.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2009