What breed of dog is known to be particularly good with kids?

We are thinking of getting a puppy - but we want it to be good for our toddler to grow with, and be gentle to her - what breeds are good with kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pets

• German Shepards are awsome with kids, and very protective. We has one when i was a kid, he guarded our bedroom door everynight, and was always very friendly. Unfotunatly they don't have very long lie spans and thier hips tend to give out after a certain age, they are very active and also loving dogs.Our dog lived for about 8 years got hip problems, we gave him the very exspensive surgery and then the other hip went....poor baby. So when buying a dog, the best thing to do is also ask about the problems each breed may have. My mil had a lab for almost 20 years, whick is absolutly amazing, he was around my kids all the time and was very friendly with them as well. Good Luck, on whatever you decide. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It might sound funny, but great danes and st. bernards are really patient and tolerant of kids. They're good natured dogs, and will usually tolerate a lot of ear-pulling and eye-poking. The downside is that they're huge dogs, they eat a lot, and they have a tendency to slobber and knock things over. If you'd like a smaller dog, golden retrievers are good with kids too.
    sheilanagig

Answer by sheilanagig at 10:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• uggghhh, i hate tpyos i meant we **had*** and long ""life**....lol and which**** all typos i swaer i can spell...lmfao!!!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The Newfoundland is the best with children. They are known as the nursemaids of the dog world. The character "Nana" in Peter Pan is a Newfoundland. They are very large dogs though, so if you have a small home or apartment they may not be a good choice.

Check out this 4 minute video, it is really interesting and it shows them with very small children:

Dogs 101 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bg9XTPsz4Y

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It all depends on the temperament, personality and handling of the dog. The meanest dog I have ever met was a golden retriever and the nicest dogs I have ever met were pit bulls and rottweilers.

The best way to find the right dog is to follow the steps on this page, http://hubpages.com/hub/Puppy-Temperament-Tests

or better yet, adopt a shelter dog. There are many displaced dogs these days that are from families with kids and are good with kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I really like English Bulldogs. They are not too big, don't shed a lot, and you don't have to take them for really long runs. Whatever dog you choose, make sure it's from a reputable breeder.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I agree with Iluvmygirlies42, large breed dogs are better with children then the medium and small breed dogs... Actually from watching the animal planet, they say most small breed dogs are bad with children unless you spend allot of time training them and they've been around children since a very young age... German Shepherds while some have good experiences with them are not well noted for their tolerance with children. Golden Retrievers are another good dog for children. Personally I suggest a Saint... They are awesome dogs! They are perfect with children and have such a mellow personality!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have a Newfoundland/Black Lab mix. He was given to us by friends that couldn't keep him. I took him on a trial basis as he was 85lbs and I had a 3yo. LOL. Silly me, trial basis. That was almost 10 years ago. I STRONGLY recommend a mixed breed like him. He has been an absolute JOY to have around. Wouldn't hurt a fly and was VERY tolerant of my little one and now @ 13 he is still incredibly tolerant of my almost 3yo son. Bad part? He SHEDS like there is no tomorrow and it is constant.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 11:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I want to get a cock-a-poo. They breed them so they are more cocker spaniel than poodle. They can be small but I would get the standard(tend to be healthier dogs). Cocker Spaniels have great,friendly personalities and poodles don't shed and are intelligent.Plus they are super cute(like gizmo dogs). Whatever dog you get make sure you meat the parents or older siblings to get a feel for their demeanor. Also inquire about any health problems the adults have. Please do not support puppy mills. I also had a wonderful Rottweiler that was patient and sweet with kids.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Golden Retrievers
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2009