How old for juice?

I know I have to water down juice, but I was wondering at what age can I give my DD juice??
I'll be breastfeeding all summer (she'll be here next week, hopefully), and it's already been REALLY hot..so to cool her off and as a treat I was wondering if on hot days , between feedings of course if she is fussy and warm if i could give her a few oz of cold watered down juice??
may seem like a really dumb question to some..but I'm not sure and before i do it i'd like to be informed.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 11:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months unless they are having problems making dirty diapers then they say you can give a few ounces to help them.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I gave my bf 4 month old water yesterday ans that cooled her off enough. I would not give juice to a baby though. Water has always done the trick for my kids and I have 5. So o am not new at mommying! Congrats on the new baby!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• They don't need the juice, watered or not, but if you want to give it the general recommendation is 6 months.

If the doctor feels she needs something more to "cool off" then just give water. The extra sugar in juice isn't doing anything for her anyway.

They actually get all the water they need from breast milk or formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2009