my 5 year old is so defiant!!!!!

I cleaned his room spotless for two days. I came home from work this morning and asked him to pick up 3 toys on the floor if he wasn't playing with them. He refused, and started screaming and would not pick up these three small things. Now I have 2 other boys 23 and 14 and I have never had to raise a hand to either of them. Well He got whacked once, still wouldnt pick up , twice, nope, three times and then he picked them up. Why does he have to let it get this far everytime he's asked to do something. When he was smaller, he would not sleep in his bed, hed be under it when i checked on him, He was fully potty trained at 2 and then started doing it in his pants all over again. because he didnt want to go to pre-k. Does he have a defiance disorder? Everything that everyone else in the world does he wont. im at wits end. help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you know, he's at that age. One thing I learned, is DONT argue with them, it's futile. Also don't make it a big issue. Simply say that if those toys aren't picked up in 15 minutes you will throw them out, say it calm but firmly, and then follow through. Give him the choice, tell him that he has 2 choices, to either pick up his toys, and if he choses to NOT pick up his toys then he chooses to have them thrown away. It's not fun, but it does work. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Have you had him tested for ODD? opositional defient disorder? yes, it's real.
    MnqHbrt

Answer by MnqHbrt at 1:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• He sounds like any other 5 year old i've met
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Sorry, he's not "like any other 5 year old". I'm all about teaching my dd to do things on her own. I don't clean her room for her. I help by dusting her furniture & vacuuming her floor & hard-to-reach stuff like hanging clothes in her closet. She's 6, so she understands if you make a mess, you have to clean it up. It starts with the parent(s). Now if he has some type of disorder, that's a different story....
    ladybug3803

Answer by ladybug3803 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i would have picked whatever you asked him too and thrown it in the trash. i have done it before, and im sure ill do it again.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The trash does work wonders. All I have to do now is tell my dds they can do it their way or I will do it my way. Amazing, the stuff is cleaned up. If it doesn't work and he continues, then you have less of his stuff to deal with.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 8:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009