How do you get a 7 month old not to cling so much when you need to do something around the home?

I have a 7 month old daughter that loves to cling to me almost every waking minute of the day. I can get her to play on the floor for maybe 10 to 20 minutes at a time then when she has had enough she clings to me....any suggestions on what might help....up 2 try any suggestions....

mommy11-13-2008

Asked by mommy11-13-2008 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, what worked for me was realizing that she is NOT dying just because she is crying, and that my house needs attention too. I would make sure she was clean, fed, and then put her in her playpen with some toys and go about my business.

Sometimes, you just HAVE to do that. If not you will never get anything done, and they have to learn that it is OK to not be held all the time.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• ditto the PP....]

but for #3 I had a wrap. i could do EVERYTHING I needed to and more and not worry about her.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My poor daughter, it seems like she cries ALL the time. I have to let her cry or I would NEVER get anything done! She is 18 months old now and I still have her hanging on my legs crying while I cook dinner or load the dishwasher what ever. she has ALWAYS been this way. I ordered a sling from www.opossumbaby.com   I can't wit to see if it helps!!  I'm going nuts over here to!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• SLING. Pop baby in, go about your business. And realize that the house won't fall down if you leave something undone just a bit longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• im having that now but like the first poster said: no baby will die crying. once i assess the situation, not bleeding, broken, hungry, wet, i have to get things done cuz i have a 4 year old. the swing has been my best friend. she's a little heavy for the sling and i have back prolems
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• having same issues with my nearly 6mth old and my dd has a bouncer ad I put her in it while i do dishes and let her see me and i talk to her and I have 15 min to do stuff
    ast2192735

Answer by ast2192735 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I say try and find some new activities that attract her attention. Even though they can be pricey she should not depend on you every second. And if you depend on a sling everytime she will never stop. Once in a while is obviously ok so you have bounding time with her when you're doing housework, and just talk to her if she is sitting near doing something else. That way she knows you are not ignoring her :)
    Good Luck, I'm dreading the day that happens to me :)
    ForgivenLev420

Answer by ForgivenLev420 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• i dont knwo what to say cuz my son still clings to me and he 2 if you really cant do anything then wait till shes sleeping to do anything
    lovergirl1014

Answer by lovergirl1014 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009