What do contractions feel like?

I'm 37 weeks and last night I was trying to go to sleep and I started feeling a lot of pressure, a lot more than usual. The baby was moving around for over an hour, and this made me think that what if I were to be going into labor one day and I had no idea. I live about 20 mins from the hospital and I'm afraid that when the day comes I'll wait to long to go. I just hope my water breaks, because if not I really don't know what is going to happen ;).
Can anyone describe how to now /What it feels like ?

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• don't worry you'll know. It will feel like cramps but they will be happening reg. and you have PLENTY of time to get there.
    With my daughter I actually had contractions b/f my water broke. Quick, cramps (like when you have your period) but they come, are quick sharp and then go, then come back). So I got up took a shower, packed my bags, my son's bags, had my mom pick me up, dropped off my son, got breakfast for my mom, and got to the hospital, checked in , gave up the next available rooom etc.
    Most 1st labors last a LONG time (about 8-12 hours) b/f birth. But the whole thing is not all pain, its just that the contractions are quick and far apart and only later start coming close.
    The part that is quick, more painful, and a roller coaster is transition, which is when you are about to give birth.
    Walking, relaxing, showering worked for me on both.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I had back labor. So I never really experienced the "cramp-like contractions." When they first started it felt like a little twinge in my back, kinda like somebody was holding something up to my back that vibrated for a few seconds. The further along I got the more intense it got, until finally it felt like something was trying to rip me apart from the inside out.

Not trying to scare you...lol. Just telling you what mine felt like.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I was not sure if I was in labor when it started. It just felt like intestinal cramps and I had some diarrhea. The contractions started out about 0 min apart and grew steadily closer together and got more intense. By the time they were 14-20 min a part the were feeling more like really bad menstrual cramps. At this point I started having the bloody discharge. A while longer they got to be so bad that I could not talk through them and 5 min apart. (counting from the time the first one starts to the time the next begins) My doctor told me that i should be having contractions like that for one hour before calling and heading into the hospital. I waited 2 hours I wanted to be at home for as long as possible. I was about 20-30 min from the hospital but the birth class we went to said that for a first baby that the average labor length was around 15-20 hours so we had plenty of time!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• *the contractions started at about 30 mins apart
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2009