Anyone using the paraguard IUD?

Im looking into non-hormonal birth control. I was looking up info on the paraguard and read some scary stuff about anemia from the heavy periods, and bad acne, and HAIR LOSS. I was just wondering what other moms who use this IUD think and if they have any of these problems. Cause I would take a 3rd kid over being a giant zit with no hair bleeding all over the damn place.

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 1:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Health

• I used mirena and I loved it since I didn't have periods, but I worked my ass off to lose weight after having my daughter when I was on it and could not lose the weight. I didn't think twice about it being my birth control untill we removed it to have our second and I dropped 16lbs in 6 weeks with no change in my diet...That being said this is the reason Im looking for non-hormonal. Everything works diff for diff people I guess. It only took us 3-4 mos to get pregnant after I removed the Mirena. As far as a diaphragm goes...I had no idea they still made these things...lol. Guess I just don't know anyone who uses it. How does it work??
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 10:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Lol, I love how hair loss is in caps but anemia isn't.

All I can tell you is that I did have heavy periods. I got it as soon as I was able to after birth, and in that time period it's common to have acne and some hair loss from your hormonal postpartum roller coaster anyway.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Why not a diaphram? It is hormone free, has no side effects, has no risk of infertility and no history of class action lawsuits.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I have the paragaurd and I love it EXCEPT the much heavier periods that I now have...that said, I was pretty used to NOT having a period ( we used Mirena before my last pregnancy, but it took us a year and a half to conceive after having it removed) Mine used to be three or four days tops, NOW I have seven to eight days straight and heavy...ugh...hate that part... I never got the acne or hair loss that you talk about and I suppose I am slightly anemic when I am on my period. I don't know anything about the diaphragm, but it seems like more work that I would want to do...Both mirena and paragaurd work wonderfully!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I believe with a diaphragm you have to insert it every time you want to have sex and I also think that they recommend you use a spermicide every time also. I would look into the paragaurd, seems easier!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009