how can I get my son to tell me why?

For starters my son has a little bit of autism in him. But the question is, he is 11yrs.old And he just wont ride a bike. he wont tell me why either. I even tried to guess all posibilities but he would not say. He just saids I dont want to .But the thing is deep inside we know he would like to very much.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe it hurts him to ride the bike or maybe he is afraid he will fall
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Why Can't my 12 year old Daughter that if she loses her thing's , like IPOD's and phone charge's that can't replace them? I

told her to HAVE A LEMON AIDE STAND TO REPLACE THEM! Because if I replace thm for her, It's allowing her to lose them Again! SHe huff and puff and said OK MOM" :)

Paula
    Pangeli

Answer by Pangeli at 1:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• you don't think he still's remembers a little bit of when he was two or almost two that he broke his femur bone.do you by falling off the armchair of the coach. he was jumping up and down on the coach and oops he went over the armchair.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 1:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't push the issue if he has ASD. My little brother wont wear shorts. No explanational reason for this. He just wont do it. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• incarnita

Very unlikely that he would remember something like that. But not impossible.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Believe it or not, some kids are just not into bikes. My daughter has never been into bikes they way I thought kids should be. I mean the way I am and my son is. What makes you say "you know he would very much" if he tells you he doesn't?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• The way he weatches when other kids ride. and just about three ago he saids to me I guess Im ready to learn now to ride a bike because the teacher said at the end of the year they were all going somewhere to ride bikes.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 1:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• You know, my stepson does this all the time about things. He's 9 and it drives me crazy that he won't give answers that are more than yes/no or I don't want to. Especially when I ask him about his day, he goes, "ummm, um, um" and that's it. His dad gives into anything he does so when I ask dad to ask him, my stepson will say, "What?" I don't have an answer!" and that's that. He's allowed to be a brat, and it sounds more like your son is being way stubborn and to me, its a bit disrespectful.
    Anonymous

• My neighbors nephew has autism and he does the same thing. But for some reason he LOVES the little kids tricycles. We tried training wheels, having the big kids(ages 10,11 and 12) try working with him, bribing him. We just finally said fergeaboutit and figured he's try when he's ready.
    I don't have much experience with kids with Autism(And don't have the patience, God bless you angels that do I wish I could be more like you, REALLY!), so I have no idea about the "levels or types"
    But all I can say is Hang in there girl! I'm pulling for ya!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My son has Asperger's ... he very much wants to ride a bike...but every time he tries he gets overly frustrated and it puts him in a foul mood and sets him up for meltdowns....that was last year...this year I see him looking at the bike, but he does NOT want to ride it. Perhaps your son is also frustrated that he cant ride and keep up with his peers. If he says he doesn't want to no big deal...but if he says he can't he could become the butt of jokes...especially at that age.Good Luck!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 2:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009