Is Colostrum enough for your baby before the milk comes in

or do i need to supplement with something else first?

IrishRocker

Asked by IrishRocker at 1:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they usually tell you to drop formula from a bottle onto your nipple so it keeps them used to it, but it depends on how long it hasnt came in
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• YES!! Colostrum is exactly what your itty bitty one needs at first, and your milk will come in in just a couple of days. You don't need to supplement with anything
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Colostrum is the best thing for your baby, FULL of antibodies, your baby will be fine. Well most babies are satisfied. I did have to supplement her a bottle, till my milk came in, but I wouldn't adivise that because alot of babies won't go back to the breast, my daughter didn't care, she would go from breast to bottle with NO problem
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• do not suplement,even if the nurses say to,ur milk will come in,it will be enough,if u want to be sucseful dont supplement,nurse often,like i would keep baby next to me and offer him the breast every 20min or so.the nurses tryd to keep my baby and feed her formula cuz she was the only baby there and there(3rd shift) were bored.i rember one time asking for her alot and it took them like 2 hours befor they gave me her..bull sh t right?
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• First off don't stress about it. the more you stress the longer it will take for the milk to come in. Second don't supplement. Breast Feeding is is a supply and demand process. The more your baby nurses the more milk your body will make to keep up. It is a very rare case for a full time BF mother to not provide enough milk. Third don't listen to the nurses that tell you that you need to supplement. If you are worried find a lactation consultant (Most Peds have one on staff) to ease your mind. Tell the nurses that you are determined to breast feed full time and that you only plan to supplement if it becomes life or death (it won't) They will want to see your baby gain 1 ounce per day so feed before weighing. I'm sorry I'm going on about this but with my first the nurses scared me out of breastfeeding my son. They made me feel like I was killing him si I didn't take their crap with the second!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• It takes up to six days for milk to come in, and for that time colostrum is ALL baby needs.

Expect baby to lose up to ten percent of birth weight in that time and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Of course the colostrum is enough, otherwise your milk would come in right after birth. Babies were bf for thousands of years before formula - either by mom or a wet nurse. I would think that on the whole, nature knows what it is doing. And the more you bf in the first few days, the quicker your milk should come in.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Colustrum is just what your baby needs, that's why it's there!! Your milk will come in 3-6 days postpartum. Just nurse frequently the first few days, and your milk will come in!!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Your baby comes out with a stomach that can only hold MAYBE a quarter of an ounce. That's about two tablespoons or so.
    ALL your baby needs is colostrum, and what it does for them is AMAZING. Even if you feel like it's not a lot, your baby is getting all they need.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• yes colostrum is enough! you do NOT need to supplement. like others have said, the nurses may try to push formula. just tell them you are determined to breastfeed & don't want to supplement. unfortunately, nurses aren't trained lactation consultants & don't learn much in school about breastfeeding. when baby is born, her tummy is the size of a marble so colostrum is enough! let baby nurse as often as she wants & have lots of skin to skin contact. breastfeeding success requires determination, knowledge, and support. check out llli.org (la leche league), join a bfing group & continue asking questions! breastfeeding is such an amazing, beautiful, and rewarding part of motherhood. congratulations and happy breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2009