Is early puberty unhealthy?

My daughter who will be 8 in August found her first pubic hair a couple of days ago. She has had body odor for several months, occassionally has vaginal discharge, and has mood swings. She is on meds for ADHD and her Dr.'s have mentioned Conduct Disorder and Bipolar NOS. I'm worried that if this IS real early puberty that the hormones involved will affect her even worse than normal because of her mood issues. Does anyone else have a child who has experienced early puberty? Help!!! Thank you.

Evomom3

Asked by Evomom3 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It's called Precocious Puberty. It's not technically unhealthy and there are shots they can take to slow it down. They say somewhere around 4 years after they start their period they stop growing. I'm not sure if it's true or if I believe it. My dd is 7 and is developing a chest. She's got the mood swings too but that's it so far. We'll keep an eye on it and if she shows any other signs we'll take her into the dr. I'm not sure if it came down to it if I would get her the shots or not though. Google Precocious Puberty and read up about it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I was 8 when I noticed my first hairs and my breast started growing. with 10 I started my period and went to go see a doctor for it! I say if nature intends it to happen now just let it happen. personally I would think it would be more unhaelthy to give meds and stuff then let it go. just make sure you let her understand what is happening and that she is becoming a young woman. it is also a difficult time for her.
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 2:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• My sister was 8 when she started her period . She is now 15 and her cycles can last up to 13 days . My parents do NOT have health insurance so my mom has never taken her to the doctor to find out anything.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• If you want to help stave it off, try switching to hormone free milk and meats. Lots of brands have gone hormone free, so it's not hard to find. They have done lots of studies (you can Google them) that have linked all the hormones in foods to early on-set puberty. I don't know if it's unhealthy, but it can't be good for the body to have such changes so early on. Good luck!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Girls can start getting hair from 8 on up. ANd as to the question about how the hormonal changes would affect her mood disorders, it will. The meds may not work correctly while her hormones are out of whack. She may be more moody or have a harder time controlling her emotions, Talk to whomever is prescribing the meds and see what can be done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2009

• I would have her tested for precocious puberty... the test takes most of a morning to do but it's pretty simple.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2009